Lacrosse women batter Lancaster opponents

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 37–3 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Agatha Torrance

The women’s lacrosse team completed Roses’ biggest thrashing of the tournament as they brushed past an almost non-existent opposition in the form of Lancaster.

Despite the score-line, UYLC will be not only be disappointed that they actually conceded goals but also that they were beaten to settling the tournament as whole with their well-earned 4 points; they were pipped by the canoe slalom team only ten minutes earlier.

Georgie Saunders and Sasha Greane were amongst the highest scorers of the day, whilst team captain Alex Whitehand and Izzie Mattick were also very impressive.

York cruised to an 8-0 lead with steady goals throughout the first quarter as Saunders pieced plays together with her penetrating runs through the centre. Lancaster managed to muster one goal in return before the quarter ended.

The lacrosse goal machine continued to turn out goals like clockwork for the rest of the game, yet the sun-baked crowd cheered for every goal. Lancaster managed to pull one back straight from a draw in the second quarter. If only they’d done that for every draw they had to face that afternoon.

The score read 18-2 at half time and already reporter, photography and spectator alike were losing track of the immense York score. That score was increased to 26-3 by the third quarter; Lancaster snuck their final consolation goal before the end of the quarter, something they were probably allowed by York out of sympathy.

Greane was allowed to simply run around the goal and slot in an easy finish on too many occasions in the final quarter as she aptly rounded up the scoring at 37-3.

After the game, team captain Alex Whitehand commented: “It was a fantastic end to my captaincy to be honest, I couldn’t have expected more. I’m a bit gutted that we didn’t beat like we did two years ago with 40 goals but 37 goals is a feat and a half so I’m very proud”.