James get Fyled away in Roses clash

JAMES 26–32 FYLDE

Images: Agatha Torrance

A win for the college netball champions James would have given York the one point they needed two win Roses as a whole after the points for the men’s 10k were scrapped. However, York’s sublime comeback in the third quarter was well quelled by the visitors as they came out as 26-32 victors.

Lancaster came out of the blocks the quickest from the offset of the very first quarter, taking advantage of some horror passes from James to build up an early lead.

Tess Russell drew the first blood for James from range, and Alison Pullan netted another goal shortly after as James slowly began to find their rhythm. Fylde were reading James’ passes very well, with the home side having to rely on the reactions of goalkeeper Becky Gray to keep them in sight of a win.

The first quarter ended 6-8 to the visitors and, should they have been more accurate, it could have been more. Again, Fylde started swiftly in the second quarter, with goal attack Beth Hampton looking the most dangerous for James. She found another goal before half time, whilst Pullan also found two more in a slow quarter for James.

James now dismally trailed 10-17 at half time, but team captain Anisha Wilmink must have told her team something truly inspirational during the interval. James magnificently turned around their fortunes in the third quarter, which put them in touching distance of rescuing a win for York.

Fylde were beginning to look shaky when in front of goal, whilst York failed to miss any of their chances at the other end; Pullan and Russell were in superlative form in the James D, with Izzi Mattick pulling the strings from centre. James thumped their way through the quarter 11-6, meaning that they only trailed 21-23 in the overall score.

However, the pressure of securing Roses for York was telling on the James side in the final quarter. Fylde regained their form from the first half of the match as they steadily increased the goal deficit whilst James struggled to keep up with play, despite the efforts of Russell. The final quarter finished 5-9, leaving Fylde as the rightful winners at 26-32.

After the game, a positive Anisha Wilmink, James captain, told Nouse: “They fought really hard and there was one point where we just two goals away, but ultimately they were just a stronger team and they were faster than us.”

York: Gray, Wilmink (C), Pay-Savage, Bullard, Matthew, Mattick, Redwood, Dixon, Russell, Hampton, Pullan