Derwent dismantle Alcuin to take college rugby crown

DERWENT 95 – 0 ALCUIN

Images: Agatha Torrance

Derwent stormed to a 15 try victory on 22 acres this afternoon to take the college rugby title with aplomb. Four tries from Ed Kemp and a hat-trick for Joshua Clewes sealed Alcuin’s fate as they fell to a humbling 95-0 defeat.

The match started in ominous fashion as Derwent immediately took possession and began to run at the Alcuin defense with fierce intensity. It wasn’t long before they had their first try on the board, Phil Hammick made the most of some brilliant build up play and he brushed off the Alcuin defence with ease to make it 5-0 to Derwent.

Hammick was at it again moments later, chipping the ball into the Alcuin 22 and testing their fragile defence. But Alcuin were able to gather the ball cleanly and kick it into touch for a Derwent line out. Derwent were determined to show their strength at the line out as they pushed the ball into a rolling maul but failed to gain much ground as Alcuin stood firm.

Alcuin managed a turn over shortly after and a nice run down the wing from Muzzy Foley started a decent spell of possession for the men in red and black. But Derwent’s defense was impressive and they won the ball back quickly with Ed Kemp showing he was in fine form with a fantastic run to get Derwent back into Alcuin’s 22.

It was Richard Whittaker who scored Derwent’s second try of the day to take the score to 10-0, Hammick converted with effortless ease to stretch Derwent’s lead to 12-0. Minutes later Whittaker was scoring again as he broke free from the Alcuin defence to dive over the line. Another Hammick conversion left the score 19-0.

Derwent continued to express dominance throughout the first half, they stole Alcuin line outs and scrummaged fantastically. Foley continued to be stand out player for Alcuin as he crucially intercepted a ball to stem the relentless onslaught of Derwent’s attacking play.

But Clewes was on hand to score the first of his three tries, a good Derwent line out ended with the ball been passed to Clewes who went on to dart past Alcuin’s last ditch tackles and take the score to 26-0. Kemp then scored what was arguably one of the tries of the match. An incredible run which started from inside his own 22 ended with a casual skip past the last Alcuin player back and Derwent were now building an impressive lead.

Thomas Brent put Clewes through for his second with a brilliant turn and a clever offload to take Derwent’s lead to 40-0 minutes before half time. Derwent’s captain Chris Judge helped Derwent finish off the first half in style as he made a brilliant run and timed his offload perfectly to Luca Illing. Illing proved to have a good set of hands and he was untroubled as he made his way to the try line.

Alcuin now had a mountain to climb if they were going to overturn the 45-0 deficit in the second half. But Derwent were unstoppable as only mere seconds after the whistle blew to signal the start of the second half, Kemp sealed his hat-trick. Hammick converted yet again and Derwent were running away with the college title.

But they weren’t finished yet. Derwent were showing some excellent ambition now and Hugo Marino made a fierce tackle to ensure that Alcuin were unable to have a decent spell of possession. Braden Ridgeway score the first of his two tries to make it 59-0 and Kemp scored his fourth of the day to make it 64-0. Hammick was unable to score the conversion this time with the wind causing some real problems.

A late brace for Rob Wilson sealed Alcuin’s fate, Ridgeway went through for his second and Clewes was on hand to score his hat-trick and take the try count to 14. Rob Wilson selflessly handed off his chances off a hat-trick to teammate Dan Perry late in the game. He made it over the line and past the exhausted Alcuin team who watched him hand the ball over to Perry who set it down between the posts for an easy Hammick conversion. The final score was 95-0.

A clearly disappointed Alcuin captain Muzzy Foley quipped after the game, “Has there been a game just now, because I don’t remember one!” he went on to say “Well done to Derwent, I mean all credit due, they played well…maybe next year,”

A delighted Derwent captain Chris Judge told Nouse, “We had a lot of training this week, we put in a lot of effort this week. I’m really happy with everyone, we’ve been looking forward to this match for four or five weeks now. Just really proud of the team.”