Meatless Mondays: Lemon, Mint and Asparagus Risotto

Encourage Spring to drop in on us this year with this light but filling dish

viewer

Since Spring may finally have sprung but we’re still not quite sure that we should trust our senses, this fresh risotto dish is perfect for this year’s uncertain Spring. It is warm, filling, and comforting – as is essential in this cold weather- but simultaneously fresh and makes use of this season’s vegetables.

(Makes 2 portions) viewer

Ingredients
A knob of butter
Olive oil
A garlic clove
150g Arborio rice
Dash of white wine (optional)
700ml Vegetable stock
Half a bunch of asparagus cut into thirds
Several sprigs of mint
The juice from half a lemon
Italian hard cheese (vegetarian equivalent of Parmesan)

Method
1. Add the butter, oil and garlic to the pan. Fry for a couple of minutes making sure to keep stirring so that it doesn’t catch.
2. Pour in the rice. Once it has been coated in the butter and stirred for a few minutes it should be looking slightly translucent. Splash in the wine.
3. Next, add a ladle full of the stock. Repeat once the rice has soaked up the liquid and keep stirring regularly.
4. Continue this step cooking at a medium heat so that the rice ends up neither too al dente nor mushy. Steam the asparagus and use this opportunity to season your risotto.
5. Once you have used up the stock, or you’re happy with the consistency of the risotto, add the asparagus to the rice. Mix in the lemon juice, and Italian hard cheese. Fold in the mint leaves. Stir, and serve up with more wine on the side.