Album Review: Peace – In Love

A band from Birmingham, straight out of school, have put together some familiar sounds that form an album of great tracks. reviews

peace-in-love-album-art-500x500-500x310

Release: 22nd March 2013
Label: Sony/Columbia

Peace’s highly anticipated debut album has arrived and though there are a few forgettable tracks, this album still carries some great, nostalgic tunes, displaying a surprisingly refreshing sense of musicianship.

Opening with ‘Higher Than the Sun’, we are introduced to Harry Koisser, the band’s front man, and his simple voice, that lingers between a strong croon and the wavering fragility of Bombay Bicycle Club’s Jack Steadman. Layered and really exploring what can be done on a guitar, we burst into a summer-craving chorus. ‘Lovesick’ is musical teenage angst and it’s just great (“I don’t want to make no sense. I don’t want to pay the rent. I just want to lay down dead and get lovesick with you”). Its playful quality brings early-Cure and The Drums’ first album to mind.

Some have criticised Peace for borrowing too overtly. Ultimately, sure, there there a moments that feel familiar, but it’s comforting not troubling.

Reminiscent of Alex Turner’s Submarine (Soundtrack) EP, ‘Float Forever’ shows off Koisser’s voice superbly in a youthful and understated opening (“If you’re not happy wearing denim, you’re a devil in disguise”) only to build-up to a euphoric climax. Good stuff. ‘Wraith’ with its falling arpeggio riff and afro-rhythmic percussion is interesting but doesn’t quite hook like ‘Delicious’ with its up-tempo chorus.

‘California Daze’ closes the album superbly and if ‘In Love’ is an expression of a trying adolescence, its final track is the slow-dance at prom.

This band might have only just left school, where they formed, but they’ve taken their notes from great predecessors such as the Cure, Blur, Foals and their intros have even been called Beatle-esque. Some have criticised Peace for, sometimes, borrowing too overtly and others raise them up for taking from the best. Ultimately, sure, there there a moments that feel familiar, but it’s comforting not troubling.

This is a band that place layer over layer of sound to create some great tracks. The album isn’t flawless, but it’s definitely worth a listen, particularly if you’re going to catch them at a festival this summer. Apparently, they’re pretty incredible live.