Twitterview: York’s Favourite Pubs

Nouse asked Twitter what your favourite student pubs are in York, leaving to sift for the best of the 140-character reviews…

the-golden-fleece-york

Visit York has opened its poll to find York’s favourite pub or bar from the shortlist of Evil Eye, the Golden Fleece, the House of the Trembling Madness and the Maltings. But what about us students?

The people have spoken… well, tweeted. We asked you to send us 140-character reviews of York watering holes all week. Here are a selection of the best:

No guesses for the most popular. The Charles, with its cheap food, wide range of draught and bottled beers and proximity to campus makes it an inevitable favourite. Just be careful what you eat, apparently.

1164073_43538c34

The ‘old man’ feel seems to be a favourite element of the Yorkshire pub, even for students. Top choices here: the Wellington Arms and the Rook and Gaskill. And while you’re pondering life over a pint at the latter you can think that supposedly two men were executed on the ground on which the pub lies. Creepy…

Top choice for sport is the Rose & Crown – a good selection if the atmosphere in there for this year’s Six Nations was anything to go by:

But there’s still loyalty for our own campus bars, even if the tweeter is a wee bit biased (at least he admits it):

Dusk

There wasn’t much love for York’s bars, but there was one notable recurring favourite:

And the Lowther, is it a pub or bar? Well whatever you think, it’s drawn this heartfelt lament for the flood-ridden night spot:

I’d have to stand by this choice, good smoking area and even better upstairs for those big society events:

A cheap pint still takes the top prize for students, with most reviews pointing out beer prices. Make sure you remember to claim that post-Budget penny off…

And finally the prime choice of your humble reporter – low ceilings, city walls and glorious ales make this a favourite for Summer… if it ever arrives…

1. 2 Apr ’13 at 8:41 pm

custard cream

Tweets have 140 characters. This blatant oversight and poor journalistic attitude to fact-checking sadly undermine the entire piece.

2. Nouse could still have asked for 160-character reviews, Custard Cream.

Live a little, you putrescent pit of festering funk.

xx

3. 2 Apr ’13 at 9:06 pm

Tom Witherow

@custard cream How embarrassing – I hope changing the figure to its correct value will allow you to forgive my numerical inadequacy.

4. 3 Apr ’13 at 9:26 am

Isidore of Seville

Great article, Tom! There are so many amazing pubs in York, and it’s a shame that a lot of students only go to the standard student places. I’d also recommend Lendal Cellars, the drinks selection isn’t amazing but the atmosphere is brilliant (it’s a goddamn underground bar, what more do you want?)