Drawing Attention: Interview with Clym Evernden

talks to award-winning Designer and Illustrator Clym Evernden about dressing, and drawing, the stars

Eudon Choi Clym
Clym Evernden has worked for some of the biggest names in the industry, from Vogue to Mulberry. Evernden is obviously supremely talented and he has been catching the eyes of the industries finest for many years enabling him to build up an impressive résumé. After gaining a BA in Womenswear from Central Saint Martins in 2003, he won the Colin Barnes Illustration award and last year showed his work alongside illustrators such as Quentin Blake in The British Library’s exhibition Illuminate: a Celebration of Illustration.

Zoe Jordan Pre Show 9

I met Evernden at London Fashion Week, where he was working as an illustrator for Nicole Farhi and Zoe Jordan, as well as freelance illustrating. In the past Evernden’s LFW illustrations have been snapped up by the likes of Elleuk.com and Vogue.co.uk, getting his name into the coveted Vogue Loves section. His illustrations do not just appear on websites but also on branded items such as T-shirts. His T-shirts have been seen on Sienna Miller, Graham Norton and in the pages of Esquire and The Sunday Times Style ‘Hotlist’. His illustrations have been in print too, in publications such as Harpers Bazaar and The Telegraph Magazine.

As Evernden told me, he works quickly in loose ink with pen and brush, making him quite unique, and the perfect option for designers seeking to encapsulate the fast-paced and hectic backstage moments and, of course, of the runway show itself. ‘That’s a niche thing’ he says ‘I don’t know many people who can draw that fast.’ Zoe Jordan spotted Evernden on Elleuk.com and invited him to create a design for her Autumn/Winter 2013 goody bags, as well as illustrations of the fittings, backstage and the show. He speaks of Jordan fondly, ‘we’re building up a very nice relationship now.’

Clym NF A_W

Evernden does not just do fashion illustration. ‘I do portraiture too. I do the portraits for writers on MyDaily.co.uk, and I sat in an armchair at Nicole Farhi on Vogue’s Fashion Night out and illustrated guests.’ Looking through Evernden’s work he enjoys portraiture as much as his fashion drawing. His portfolio of drawings is full not solely of models but of everyday people too. Illustrations of tired, impatient passengers at Heathrow sit next to beautiful illustrations of Clements Ribeiro’s Autumn/Winter 2013 runway. Speaking to Evernden about Monalo Blahnik’s illustrations for LFW he called them ‘English’, ‘quite eccentric’, ‘charmingly naïve’ and effortlessly ‘free’ and these ironically seem to be the perfect words to sum up the beautiful drawings of the talented Evernden; his wonderfully whimsical work is well worth a look.