Women’s badminton whitewash deflated Teesside

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 8-0 TEESSIDE UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern Conference 2B

View on Flickr

Images: Lily Grant

York’s badminton ladies’ firsts proved too strong for Teeside’s firsts team, as the White Rose cruised a comprehensive victory in the Sports Centre.

The Black and Gold’s total whitewash of the Teesiders meant that they finished a successful season on a high after finishing runners-up in their BUCS division. Teeside, meanwhile, will now finish at the bottom of the table, epitomised by them having to surrender two of their singles matches due to a missing player.

YorkSport President-elect Cassandra Brown took the court first with her doubles partner Beth Cowell. The pair showed the prolific teamwork that they had been building all year as Brown returned well whilst Cowell proved to be very successful at the net, winning their ends 21-9 and 21-13.

In their game of the day, it was much of the same story for Brown and Cowell as they took the first game 21-7. Their second, however, was much slower-passed as the pair were more lax in their shots, but nevertheless they came out victorius, taking the final end and the match 21-15.

The second York pair of Lucy Charvers and Alision Cannon were even more effective as they cruised past their opposition in two comprehensive victories. In the first, they used their powerful smashes to rile the Teeside pairing, claiming wins of 21-8 and 21-2.

Charvers and Cannon carried their stunning form into the next game as they cleveral placed the shuttle around the court, whilst killing they’re rallies with style. Their opponents general only earned points when York made a rare mistake, allowing them to rack up two huge victories of 21-3 and 21-4.

Both singles players would only get one game on the court each because of Teeside’s missing player. Alice Garcia Melgares’ victory was not a clear-cut as York’s previous wins in the doubles matches, but she was cool enough at the net to edge out a 21-18 win in the first end. The second game was just as tight as Melgares’ smashes found success but both players were firing some shot wayward. Regardless, York won the game with another scoreline of 21-18.

Team captain Rachel Farrington was up against the same opponent shortly after and it was clear the Melgares’ previous match had taken its toll. Farrington continued to tire her out as she played some excellent slices that continued to force several unforced errors. Both ends were won for York 21-2 and 21-11

After a very successful day for the women’s firsts, team captain Farrington told Nouse: “We beat them 8-0 last time so we were confident, it’s just really nice to end the season on a high”.