Men’s lacrosse undone in cup final

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 5-10 LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern Conference Cup Final

Images: Agatha Torrance

The men’s lacrosse team missed out on cup glory, after falling at the last hurdle in the BUCS Northern Conference Cup Final 10-5 against an efficient Liverpool team.

Under challenging, snowy conditions on the 3G pitch, York saw the game slip away after the third quarter, where Liverpool built up too large a lead for York to overcome in the final 20 minutes.

York were high on confidence, after defeating Durham seconds, the team that had defeated York in last year’s final, both in the BUCS cup and league, on the way to the final. Liverpool however, were also on form, being undefeated in their BUCS division as well.

The match began slowly. with neither team able to consolidate possession. Liverpool looked very structured behind the ball, setting up to allow pressure from York, then looking to counter attack whilst York were light at the back.

The tactic eventually came off, with Liverpool attacker Dom Carragher, finishing well to allow the visitors first blood. They were not ahead for long however. York attacker, Chris Menon brought York straight back into the match. With both teams looking solid in defence, the match settled into a cagey ceasefire. The quarter ended 1-1.

After the break, York began to assert their authority on the match. Liverpool’s defence, while well structured, was static, meaning that they struggled against the direct and long runs of the York players.

With the ball loose depp in the York half, Menon picked up the ball and proceeded to run 40 yards, before slotting the ball past Liverpool keeper Hank “The Tank” Banks. A second York effort was promptly disallowed for warding, though soon after Andy Thomas had scored another.

Despite all of the York pressure however, Liverpool scored a few goals against the run of play. This meant that despite a last minute pirouette finish, york were only 4-3 ahead at half time.

The third quarter would decide the game. In a bout of pathetic fallacy, the sun disappeared behind enormous dark clouds, which promptly showered the 3G pitch in snow. The weather it seemed, directly represented York’s fortunes.

Amid some big hits, the game began to slip away from York. Several finished by Carragher, left York trailing 7-5 with only 20 minutes left to play in the match. The lead played straight into the Liverpool team’s hands, as their structured defence meant it was always going to be a tall order for York to snatch victory.

As the final minutes ticked away, York increasingly probed looking for the goals needed to win the cup. This unfortunately left them exposed at the back, meaning that Liverpool were allowed opportunities as York failed to break down the defence.

On three occasions Liverpool were able to score, after the ball had been deep within their half in York possession. As the final whistle went, York had fallen short, losing 10-5.

A deeply dejected Captain William Chun told Nouse after the match “I would be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. We did well to get here, but to reach the final two years in a row and lose both times is tough.”