LFW: Zoe Jordan Show Report

Photos: Agatha Torrance

Zoe Jordan opened London Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2013 with her fifth collection ‘Foundations’. The show was much anticipated; last year Jordan was nominated for the BFC/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund and was a finalist for Walpole Best Emerging British Luxury Brand 2012, and had an impressive frow (a front row of Jamie Winstone, Diane Broomfield, Kate Nash). Jordan describes her collections in the show notes as ‘boyish elegance’, ‘androgynous and feminine, sophisticated and elegant’.

A striking flash of amber and ultra pink complimented the largely monochrome colour palette. A flowing amber full length dress added richness peeking out from underneath heavy outerwear, and a head to toe vibrant pink ensemble provided a high impact punch of colour in between the softer tones of black, white and grey.

Despite being minimal, the collection managed to ooze opulence through its wonderful use of textures. Fabrics ranged from luxurious Tuscan sheepskin and butter soft nappa leather to metallic woven jacquards and heavy woolen cashmere knits.

Zordan’s grounding in her study architecture was evident throughout the show. Her previous collections have moved across the world, finding inspiration in her native Spain amongst other places, but this time she landed on Italy. There were silk shift dresses adorned with images of the Duomo of Rome, which added a softer element to more tailored looks of her collection.

Jordan has recently moved back to London from Hong Kong, and the jet-set lifestyle of the investor-turned-designer can be seen through her striking collection. Jordan told Vogue that her London life inspired the ‘crisper elements’ of the collection – the structured shoulders, the graphic print and the Savile Row inspired tailoring. “Moving back to London I wanted to make it a sharper, minimal and pared-down collection.” The tailored aspirations, combined with the luxurious fabrics and careful choices of palette worked to create a vibrant yet elegant show.