LFW: Fam Irvoll Show Report

Photos: Petroc Taylor

It was kitsch, loud and garish. 90s prints brought an urban jungle of pastels, with baby pinks and blues as the base colour palette. These were then developed with neons, comic book prints and bright reds – shown most boldly in the lips motif, which appeared as badges, on the shoes and as a huge bumbag. Crop tops and over-sized beanies had a youthful vibe, but left space for the sarcastic interpretation of the show title ‘YOLO!!!’ that ultimately emerged.

The centrepiece was a white high-wasted, cinched-in dress, with flared netting and long red sleeves; teamed with flats, giving a preppy edge which was consistent through the collection. The make-up accentuated this, with liquid neon pink lips with a black surround teamed up with a double sweeping eyebrow. The models were given free rein, high fiving the crowd and each other as they went, bringing electrifying energy to the clothes.

Fam Irvoll joined her models as they formed a hip hop dance troop descending upon the photographers pit, rapper in tow, who brought the theme of the show to the crowd with aggression. Less catwalk show, more statement, Fam Irvoll’s A/W13 collection was met with cheers for her unconventional show style. The collection was larger than life, writing the social media generation into her script, in the process bringing the retro prints and cuts right up to date.