LFW: Eudon Choi Show Report

Photos: Lily Grant

From Russia With Love seems an appropriate tagline for Eudon Choi’s latest collection. The main influence behind the collection was David Lean’s ‘Doctor Zhivago’, and there were hints throughout the collection of both peasant and bourgeois clothing from the time of revolutionary Russia. Models wandered down the catwalk to a live klezmer band that also played as the eager audience filed into the petite Portico Showrooms at Somerset House. The collection had a wonderfully couture feel about it; particularly with the beautiful floral headscarves worn in true babushka style designed by Piers Atkinson. Some were worn full of bright blooms framing the face, whilst other models wore the oversized flowers on a headband in a vibrant halo. Details like this were truly stunning.

Shoes too were not left plain; they were adorned with oversized pom-poms at the heels. Choi also experimented with a new form of embellishment called Crystal Rocks by Swarovski. A delightfully mesmerizing dropped waist dress with pockets at the hips in a knotted blue and white jacquard stripe was gilded with golden Swarovski flowers.

The colour choices expressed richness – deep burgundy, head to toe vibrant red, and beautiful Russian Blue. The fabrics too were luxurious; the leatherwork, which is always a large part of Choi’s work, in particular was outstanding. Choi gained his experience in menswear and he is known for masculine style; the mannish coats stood out in this AW13 collection. The fur paneled coat, something we saw a lot of this season, in deep blue was a showstopper as was the pink knit jacket with the warm burgundy leather paneling.

This collection was full of charm, it was strong, whimsical, luxurious and a pleasure to watch.