YUSU win Disabled Students’ Campaign of the Year

A YUSU campaign was named NUS Disabled Students’ Campaign of the Year yesterday. The award was given to the Access All Activities campaign during the NUS Disabled Students Campaign Conference

A YUSU campaign was named NUS Disabled Students’ Campaign of the Year yesterday.

The award was given to the Access All Activities campaign during the NUS Disabled Students Campaign Conference, held at The Park Inn Hotel, Manchester.

The success of York’s delegation continued as two of their motions were passed at the conference.

The first was a motion for more accessible exam conditions, with the aim of increasing the amount of extra time in assessments for disabled students, which is currently capped at 25 per cent.

The second motion raised concerns about the stigma against disabled students that may be created by The Department for Work and Pensions repeatedly highlighting rates of overpayment of support to disabled people.

The motion stated that “both government and opposition MPs have repeatedly contributed to the myth that all disability benefits are out of work benefits” and that such misunderstandings have “directly contributed to a rise in anti-disability stigma and hate crime”.

The Access All Activities campaign was launched by YUSU in week 6 this term, with the aim of improving the inclusivity of all the activities available at York.

The campaign has been active in a number of ways, including the creation of a pledge signed by those run activities to improve accessibility and wheelchair basketball taster sessions.

Emma Hersey herself has won awards for previous work with YUSU

Emma Hersey, Disabled Students’ Officer, said: “I’m very pleased to have received this award on behalf of YUSU and I think it shows how far we’ve come in the last year in bringing accessibility to the forefront of our Union.

“But, this was not a solo effort and I’d like to thank all the other officers and staff involved, we wouldn’t have received this award without them”.

Bob Hughes, Welfare Officer, said: “I am delighted to see this campaign being recognised, and I would love to thank all of the people who helped make it happen.

“There is still so much more to come from this campaign, from the results of our survey on accessibility in activities, to finding ways of ensuring that our projects and activities feel supported in widening access, so you will hear more about what we hope will be a long-term and wide-reaching campaign.”

1. Mental health service is poor though. The Open Door Team is tragic.

2. 1 Mar ’13 at 11:21 am

Emma Hersey, Disabled Students' Officer

Leilani, this campaign was predominantly about getting students involved in sports clubs and societies. It was not focused on improving University-run services.

If you have an opinion on the Open Door Team, please do raise it with either myself or Bob Hughes, and we can look at running at separate campaign/review into it.