Women’s football reach cup final after appeal

The result of Wednesday's BUCS semi final has been overturned. Image: Lily Grant

The result of Wednesday’s BUCS semi final has been overturned. Image: Lily Grant

The women’s football team have reached the final of the BUCS Northern Conference Cup, after the result from their semi final last week was overturned on appeal.

York lost that match 1-0 at home to the University of Central Lancashire’s second team, but appealed on the basis that UCLAN fielded an ineligible player.

York received word that UCLAN had been looking for an extra player the day before the match and later discovered a Facebook status from one of the opposition players identifying the goalscorer as “Steph”, who was not listed on the official teamsheet, and “the new Molly”. Further investigation from UYWAFC through Twitter revealed that the player the UCLAN scorer was posing as had been in hospital for an appendix removal last week and would not have been able to play, with a tweet sent out last week reading “Wish my side would heal hate feeling weak and not being able move properly”.

This evidence was sent to BUCS and today the appeal has been accepted after UCLAN admitted to fielding an ineligible player. York will now face Manchester firsts in the final, which is scheduled for Wednesday 13 March.

Women’s Football President Meg Phillips commented, “Bringing up the issue with BUCS was important and goes to show how easy it is for teams to cheat. We were lucky to have been informed by a third party, and even more so to have been able to prove it to BUCS. It was a close game against UCLAN and now we’ve got our eyes set on bringing home the trophy.

“More importantly though it’s a testament to the commitment of the players and those involved with the appeal that we are able to play in the final. The club has had an incredible year in all aspects and bringing home the trophy would be an unbelievable finish to the season!”

Team captain Vicky Decamp added, “After our performance last Wednesday I’ve no doubt that we fully deserve our spot in the final.”

York have won all of their games so far this season, and are set to be promoted from the BUCS Northern Conference 4B. Manchester, meanwhile, are flying high themselves with a 100 per cent record of their own that puts them at the top of the Northern Conference 2A.