Futsal firsts into national semi finals with Middlesex win

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 10-5 MIDDLESEX UNIVERSITY
BUCS Championship Quarter Final

Images: Agatha Torrance

The futsal firsts’ remarkable run continued tonight as they put in a spectacular performance to beat Middlesex 10-5 and reach the last four of the BUCS national championships.

York recovered from being 4-1 down early in the first half, and played some incredible futsal on their way to recording yet another historic win.

The home side began well, Alex Tringham testing the opposition keeper inside the first five seconds, as the Black and Gold dominated the early stages.

Tringham was involved in everything, repeatedly forcing the visiting stopper into some tricky saves, hitting the post with a free kick and taking a heavy knock from a robust Middlesex tackle.

It was only a matter of time before York opened the scoring, and it came when Tringham timed his run to perfection for Connor McCoy to pick and out and then hit a shot which squirmed under the keeper and crept over the line.

It looked as if the hosts could go on to build a convincing lead, but things were about to take a turn for the worse. Out of nothing, the diminutive Middlesex forward was able to divert the ball up and over Jonny Sim to equalise; it was thoroughly undeserved, but there was much more to come.

Bizarrely, the visitors found themselves in the lead when Sim punched a clearance straight to a striker’s feet and he lashed it into the corner.

Tom Day almost provided an immediate response with an impudent backheel that was saved with an outstretched leg, but York would soon sink deeper into the mire.

A shot from distance somehow found its way through Sim’s gloves for 3-1, before Middlesex made it four with a shot through a crowd of defenders following a blocked free-kick. It seemed every Middlesex attack would end in a goal, and York soon called a timeout to regather their composure.

Whatever was said during the break, it had the desired effect as York came out firing on all cylinders Immediately after the restart Daly burst through the defence and his shot came back out for McCoy to tap in.

Tringham then made it 3-4 with a penalty, and only some unbelievable goalkeeping kept Middlesex in front – Tringham and McCoy both denied.

They did level the score before half-time, though, and with the best move of the match so far. Some neat interplay between Dom Hallas and Ash Daly ended with the Club President poking a shot into the corner.

York were beginning to show the form that had eluded them last time out, and were able to raise their game further in the second half.

4-4 quickly became 6-4 to the home side, with Tringham adding his third and fourth of the evening, including one thunderous strike that nestled in the top corner, as the noise from the home crowd became more and more prominent.

There were a couple of nervy moments at the other end which Sim dealt with well, but it was clear that York were beginning to hit their stride. James Briars was on the end of a flowing move involving Tringham and Jonny Brown to knock in a seventh at the far post.

It was 8-4 when Day produced an immaculate first touch to control a long ball, laying it off beautifully into the path of McCoy to score again.

The brilliant Sim was finally beaten again soon after, but a York win now looked like the only real possibility. McCoy completed his hat-trick with a calm finish after a lightning fast counter-attack had seen him and Tringham break free.

But with York turning on the style, there was soon to be an untimely interruption as some blood on the court caused a lengthy delay. There was a fear that the break would do for Middlesex in the remaining seven minutes what it had for York in the first half, but any doubts were quickly dispelled after play resumed.

The Black and Gold immediately went back to playing some sensational futsal, Brown rounding off an incredible passing move that left the Middlesex defence helpless with a composed finish to make it 10-5. It proved to be the final goal of the night, and was a perfect example of the kind of wonderful play this York side are capable of producing.

The delay had done nothing to alter the pattern of play, and York continued to dominate until the final whistle, which was greeted by huge cheers from the vociferous home fans.

York captain Tom Day told Nouse afterwards, “To be among the top four teams in the country is an unbelievable achievement, and these games keep getting better and better. In the last 16 against Leicester we didn’t play very well, but you could still see the character in the team. Today, we really turned it on in the second half and some of the futsal that was played was brilliant.

“The crowd, again, were awesome and a massive help to us. Ash Daly, Jonny Sim, all of us really played well tonight and it showed. It just goes to show that if we get our game together on the day we can beat any team, so the sky’s the limit from here. We’ve got to aim for the final now, and why not go on to win the competition? Every round that we go through gives us so much belief and I’m over the moon now, so proud of everyone.”

The semi finals are due to take place two weeks from tonight, with York now awaiting news of who they will face in the last four.

York: Sim, Brown, McCoy, Daly, Day (C), Tringham, Briars, Hallas.