York ranks 4th in Sexual Health Report

The University of York has been ranked fourth against a table of Britain’s leading Universities in a recent sexual health report

The University health centre. Photo Credit: Peter Iveson

The University of York has been ranked fourth among Britain’s leading Universities in a recent sexual health report.

DrEd.com, an online doctor service, have collected the results among 24 of Britain’s most prestigious ‘Russell Group’ Universities in a bid to help institutions track their sexual health services.

The University’s sexual health services were graded on 11 separate categories, such as hours of operation, contraceptive availability, student satisfaction and quality of sexual health information on site.

Whilst York scored A grades for opening hours, drop ins or bookings and sexual health testing events, it performed poorly on a sexual health assault service, student satisfaction and overall website usability and quality with C, D and F grades respectively.

Overall York’s sexual health service scored a 2:1, with Nottingham in first place followed by Kings College London and Bristol University who were all awarded 1st grades.

Bob Hughes, Welfare Officer, said: “It’s good to see York high up for sexual health services, but I think there is still a way to go to get better. For example central clear information from the YUSU and University websites is something we will be working on to make it as easy as possible for students to access, as well as central campus information.

“If you are wanting to get information and advice on your sexual health, you can visit the Health Centre for one of their drop-ins (Wednesdays 1-3 and Fridays 12-2 during term time), or for a full check up, there is the Monkgate GUM clinic in town.”

Research for the report involved ‘extensive data capture’ by three methods; contacting the appropriate Student Union representative through an ‘online questionnaire’, performing secondary ‘research and analysis on sexual health services’ and thirdly mystery shopping all of the University health centres to ‘check their service levels, responses and recommendations for treatment’.

Dr Ed said on their website that the idea to analyse university sexual facilities came from the USA, where the ‘Trojan Sexual Health Report Card’ is a valuable tool to highlight the importance of sexual health and to help improve services.

The results are in spite of a recent report by Nouse that 61 per cent of respondents rated the waiting time for appointments at York’s health centre as poor or very poor.

1. 19 Feb ’13 at 5:55 pm

Joshua Throbson

This just means we’re not having enough promiscuous sex. Come on people, sort it out!

2. 25 Feb ’13 at 8:24 pm

Michael Butcliffe.

I totally agree, I’m not getting any at all!