Volleyball side cruise to Varsity victory

York’s mixed volleyball team were comfortable winners on Sunday, securing a 3-0 victory to hand the visitors all three points on offer

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3-0 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

Images: Philippa Grafton

York’s mixed volleyball team notched up a comprehensive victory against Hull on Sunday. The setting might not have quite been Horse Guards Parade but that didn’t prevent an exciting match between the White Rose rivals.

In the first set York got off to a quick start and soon found themselves 4-1 up. Hull responded with some improved play but it was not long before York gained the advantage. While Hull were struggling to get together any aggressive play York were superb in formulating their attacks.

York soon found themselves just five points away from taking the first set at 21-10 but this was to be delayed by a brief moment of resurgence. A missed smash seemed to spark a string of Hull points in which they got to 15 before York took the set.

The second set began differently to the opener with Hull embarking on an early 5-1 lead. However this was soon reversed by York who went on a run to make it 5-9. The visitors soon found themselves 22-11 ahead but had to wait another four points before taking the set 25-14.

In the third set, like the first, York found themselves ahead early on. However at 11-6 there was to be no period of Hull resurgence. Soon it was match point and a t 24-8 York remained calm to seal victory.

https://soundcloud.com/york-nouse/volleyball-captain-quote

York: Chris Stent (Captain), Rory Kelly, Sven Sabas, Kai Chan, Anton Gospodinov, Lucia Linares, Christina Sara, Selena Yeung