Badminton thirds secure dominant win

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 8-0 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

An inspired men’s thirds team gave their Hull equivalents a lesson in badminton as they brushed aside a disorganised opposition of little experience in Sunday’s Varsity match.

The play was opened by the thirds’ talisman Rolf Choutan, but he was ultimately let down by the hosts as they failed to provide him with any worthy opposition. His first opponent was highly inexperienced and Choutan was able to leisurely work his adversary round the court and claim a 21-5 win, followed by a win by a larger margin of 21-2. Hull had to concede defeat for Choutan’s second match when his opponent had to leave for a dissertation meeting.

David Hamilton, York’s second singles player, did manage to play both of his opponents. After being drafted into the team at eight o’clock that morning, he started off slowly in a slow-paced opening end. Nevertheless, his accuracy was telling compared to his opponent and he claimed a 21-17 victory. He carried his momentum into the second end and managed to finish comfortably at 21-8.

In his second game, Hamilton pulled off the most comprehensive victory of the entire tournament. He only conceded one point out of the two matches, as he crushed his opponent 21-0 and 21-1 with a faultless performance.

York’s doubles pairs then took to the court. First up were Mike Taylor and Mike Holmes, who provided the crowd with one of the most entertaining games of team’s play; their superior smashes and fast pace meant they overpowered their opponents 21-13 and 21-15. The pair carried their play into their second game, but this time their opposition were much stronger at returning the shuttle, meaning two long ends of 21-13 and 21-12 were dragged out.

Piers Whipp and Li-Chi Sun finally took to the court to finish the match off for York. The pair showed excellent team play as Sun’s agility kept rallies alive at the net whilst Whipp controlled the rest of the game from the back of the court. They saw off their rivals 21-8 and 21-14 with little trouble.

Their second match proved to be a bit more challenging as Hull came close to actually scoring a game point for the first time in the entire match. Whipp and Sun continued to work well together in the first end, winning 21-15. However, Hull managed to forge a comeback in the second end with a score of 25-23. Regardless, the York pair reacted well and simply repeated their performance from the first end, again winning 21-15.

When asked how he felt about his teams exquisite performance, team captian Whipp told Nouse: “[I fell] really good. I’m glad that all of our games were won and I’m quite happy with it”.