Women’s lacrosse in stylish Varsity victory

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 21-5 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

Images: Petroc Taylor

In a tremendous all round performance, the women’s lacrosse firsts came away from Varsity with a comfortable victory over a dogged Hull side.

Sensing weakness in their opponents, York struck with ruthless efficiency early on and in truth could have scored more than the 21 goals that they did had it not been for an inspired performance from the Hull goalkeeper and some officiating as questionable as the beef percentage in a Findus lasagne.

From the go, York put pressure on Hull and after a sensational break through the middle from Alexis Bond, Katie Barrett smashed in the first of her seven goals. Shortly after, neat interplay created space for Hattie Whillans who score her first of the day.

Barrett added another before Hull scored with their first real attack after excellent play from their centre, who sauntered through the defence to score.

Immediately after, though, Barrett added a quickfire double with some scintillating play from all involved. Sacha Greane bagged her first of the day at the second attempt after some sustained pressure from the York attack, with Bond and Claire Thomas particularly impressive in linking play.

Two more from Greane and another from Barrett saw York end the first quarter 8-1 ahead.

The second quarter was much of the same with Greane and Barrett adding to their tallies and Whillans bagging her second of the game. Hull did, however managed to get their second of the match after a rare foray into the York half resulted in a scrappy goal.

At the beginning of the third quarter, York led 14-2 and made some changes to keep things fresh. Despite this, York found it difficult to beat the Hull goalkeeper, who was making some absolutely sensational saves. The umpires were also making some dubious judgements which hindered the York attacking effort.

Bond did, however, get a goal which her overall play deserved. This was followed by a superb individual effort from Barrett, and the first of two goals for Izzi Mattick. Hull though, never gave up, and defended like beavers for the whole quarter, even managing to get one more onto the score sheet to make it 16-3 to York at the end of the quarter.

The final quarter was an entertaining affair, with Hull adding two further goals to make the scorline slightly more respectable. York, though, did add five more goals to complete the rout; Barrett, Mattick and Bond adding to their tallies.

Ambidextrous skipper Alex Whitehand capped a fine captain’s performance, finishing off a wonderful flowing team move. Greane added her seventh of the game to complete the rout, latching on to a defensive error to secure a dominating victory for York.

Whitehand said afterwards: “It wasn’t as smooth as we hoped, but we are glad to come away with a victory, and with lots of different players getting a game.”