Squash teams suffer Varsity defeat

An understrength York squash team succumbed to a double defeat against Hull in Sunday’s Varsity clash, securing a crucial five points for the hosts

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 1-2 UNIVERSITY OF HULL FIRSTS
UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 0-3 UNIVERSITY OF HULL SECONDS

The men’s squash team were convincingly beaten by Hull in Sunday’s White Rose Varsity, although an understrength team was to blame.

York’s men’s squash firsts lie higher in the BUCS rankings than their Hull counterparts but with only two of the normal men’s firsts’ players available because of upcoming important local league fixtures, York struggled against a more powerful Hull team.

There were five points on offer in total, two for the men’s seconds and three for the men’s firsts, but none for the women’s squash team after a mix-up in allocating points for Varsity.

The men’s seconds got off to a bad start with Chris Racey, the number one seed for the seconds on the day, losing in straight games to Johnny Hamilton from Hull. The first game was a tight 7-11 loss, but then the next two games were easily won by Hamilton in the best of five game
contest.

York’s third seed was another Chris but he succumbed to the same fate, losing 5-11, 2-11, 2-11. With only three games being played in both of the men’s seconds and firsts, this meant Hull had won the two points on offer for the men’s seconds with a match to spare.

The last match of the men’s seconds saw Elliot Keech lose again in straight games, but this was the best match so far as Keech made his opponent work for the win whilst making some excellent shots of his own.

Up next were the men’s firsts and with two BUCS players in the team, expectations were high.

The first match saw Sam Westmoreland narrowly lose in straight games. Despite a strong start, Westmoreland lost the first game 10-12 but then lost momentum and allowed his opponent to rack up an unassailable lead in the second game. This was a match Westmoreland should have won and the defeat left York needing to win the next two matches to claim overall victory in the men’s firsts.

Unfortunately, the penultimate match did not go in York’s favour. Same Prime, the third seed for the men’s firsts on the day, lost in straight games, 2-11, 4-11, 5-11. This left York with no chance of winning the men’s firsts and Hull with all five points.

Although the final match of the men’s firsts, and the day, would not affect the overall score, Miles Knight, York’s number one seed, put in a great performance to come back from 1-0 down to win 3-1 in his match (9-11, 12-10, 11-5, 11-6), despite having his earring knocked out by his Hull opponent.

This ended what had been an entertaining, but somewhat disappointing day, for York’s squash team as they couldn’t return any points to the Varsity total.