Points shared in Varsity trampolining

In one of the day’s final fixtures, York took three important points in the upper class of the trampolining, with Hull adding two points to their tally

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 49.35-47.27 UNIVERSITY OF HULL (UPPER CLASS)
UNIVERSITY OF YORK 44.65-45.5 UNIVERSITY OF HULL (LOWER CLASS)

Like any gymnastic sport, trampolining requires intense concentration, practice, precision, and no little grace. With these qualities displayed at times immaculately in Varsity, it was clear that both York and Hull had put the work in.

Even as the long day was drawing to a close outside St Marys specialist sports college, the off-campus venue for this fixture, York’s trampolining team were presenting, blasting through their set routines, and displaying to a trio of discerning judges.

Rachael Bates, club president, said, “It’s going to be close, because we’ve only brought half our team. It’s one of those spots that could go either way on the day.”

And this seemed to be the case. For the first round, a predetermined sequence of moves must be performed by each gymnast within 10 bounces. One false step, one misjudged landing, and the whole display could be shot.

Yet only one or two deviated from the straight and narrow, and none completely went to pieces. Likewise for the Hull team, competing with a top-heavy three in higher, one in lower, to York’s two-and-two.

Jack Goodfellow and Pete Hick especially, kept their shapes defined, their tucks tight, and their landings balanced.

Routines were executed at a pace, so that the fixture moved swiftly on to the Voluntaries – the freestyle section of the event.

York displayed a well-managed team, with their two competitors in the lower division choosing manageable routines to allow for more precision. The York team was rewarded for this choice, with Heather Thomas and Rachael Bates out of a possible 64 points taking a judges’ average of 44.7 and 44.6 respectively.

But in this round the higher division came to the fore, with tumbling somersaults, forwards, backwards and in tucks and pikes. Pete Hick and Sarah Elliott gained an impressive average of 49.6 and 49.1 respectively.

The top score lay with the Hull team, a high division average of 50.2 for one pristine competitor – though Hick’s 49.6 closely tailed him.

The final scores were similarly close. Once all the trampolinists had completed their final displays and left the mats, the judges deliberated for a good few minutes.

The tension built, just as each Varsity point had become more and more important throughout the day.

But sure enough, a final result was announced. Hull’s average: 46.82; York’s: 47. We claimed three Varsity points, with another two awarded to the hosts for their performance.