Netball thirds dominate Varsity match

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 42 – 12 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

York’s netball thirds secured their Varsity point with ease yesterday as they steam-rollered Hull 42-12. There were some exceptional performances from captain Eliza Ackland and centre Becky Coomber who were in fine form as they helped their side to victory.

The first quarter was epitomised by York’s slick passing and fast paced play, Coomber was dicatating matters in the middle of the court and allowing her teammates to show some clever creativity along the way.

A beautiful piece of work between goal attack Ackland and goal shooter Caitlin Graham saw Graham bat the ball around the post and back into play to Ackland who susbequently scored to extend York’s lead and take them into the second quarter 10-3 ahead.

The second quarter proved very much the same as York began to pull away dramatically, they showed off some very strong defence through goal keeper Rachel Bunce and goal defence Emily Turpin. Turpin went onto make a brilliant interception which allowed York to snatch possession and mount another attack.

Their passing game was excellent throughout and continued to demonstrate the strong hold they had on the game and their Hull rivals. York went into half time very comfortably ahead 23-6.

The third quarter was business as usual for York, they switched things around allowing subsitute Melanie Okuneye to come on at goal defence subsequently switching Turner to centre and Coomber to wing defence. Bunce made a fantastic block to deny Hull yet again. Despite the third quarter not seeing York score as freely as they had in the last one, it made little difference as they merely got to demonstrate their strong defence instead.

Hull’s goals felt like a consolation now as everyone seemed to realise the game was gone, even the players themselves. Frustrations began to show for Hull while York were able to be clinical in their finishing with Graham on a hot streak, scoring multiple goals in a row for her team.

By the fourth quarter the game was gone with York ahead 36-9. York’s players didn’t seem to get the message though as Bunce proved every bit as determined to snatch every rebound and block every attacking move by the Hull shooters. Graham continued to capitalise on every chance she was given and Okuneye was exceptional in the dying minutes as well.

The point was York’s at the umpires blew the whistle with the score at a very definitive 42-12.

York: Graham, Ackland, Robertson, Coomber, Turner, Turpin, Bunce. Subs, Naylor, Hall, Okuneye