Netball seconds win tense Varsity thriller

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 34 – 32 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

York’s netball seconds pulled off a fantastic win at Varsity yesterday in what was an intense and aggressive encounter. Amidst a hostile Hull crowd, York were able to seal an impressive victory with a very solid all round team performance.

Hull started out the match very strongly, with some very fast paced, aggressive play that left York reeling. But goal shooter Sarah Pickup was on hand to ensure that York stayed very firmly in the match with some very accurate shooting.

It didn’t take long for York to assert their dominance however, with Amy Moll pulling the strings around goal, York were starting to show some real class. Hull’s goal attack proved to be a problem for York all day with her overly physical attitude to the game. But York stood strong and proved to be the better side as they closed the first quarter 9-5.

The second quarter saw the game continue to get very tense, Hull found some incentive to close the gap on York as the crowd became more and more hostile. Raucous cheers went up when Hull managed to find an equaliser but York were re-invigorated and they surged back into the lead with ease. Center, Elisa Byran snatched up a brilliant interception and goal keeper Caroline Green also helped her side overturn possession as she clung onto a tricky rebound.

Both Green and goal defense, Grace Clarke were in exceptional form as the latter used her height to her full advantage to prevent Hull from scoring. York went into half time 20-13 ahead and starting to pull away from their Varsity rivals.

The third quarter saw Hull close the gap, with from excellent shooting still taking place from Moll, not even the presence of a vigorous zumba class going on next to the Nouse base could deter from the cracking atmosphere on the court.

The tension was palpable as the end of the third quarter left the scores 25-22 in York’s favour. Both teams went onto the court in the fourth quarter with the game completely in the balance and the crowd

York refused to bow down to the pressure however, and extended their lead despite continual attacks from the Hull side. Pickup and Moll both continued their fine form and Clarke and Green were able to snatch every rebound that game their way to mount another York attack. As the dying seconds of the game approached York’s precious two goal lead was beyond the Hull side and the whistle blew to ecstatic cheers from the York supporters.

https://soundcloud.com/york-nouse/elisa-bryan-netball-2nds