Men’s lacrosse team thrash Hull in Varsity clash

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 17-0 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

Images: Petroc Taylor

York turned on the style as the men’s lacrosse firsts thrashed Hull 17-0 in a very one sided Varsity fixture.

After an initially cagey start, ten minutes of stop and starts resultant of obvious Hull hangovers, York found their rhythm. Chris Menon made a surge from midfield before passing to Andy Chalmers who shot from close range. His shot was saved but Andy Thomas reacted quickest to pounce on the loose ball and fire his first of five goals, and set the tone for what was to be a very long afternoon for the hosts.

A sustained period of York pressure soon followed as the visitors bombarded the Hull area. Menon got his first of three before captain William Chun scored from long range to open up a 3-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

It was a York performance that oozed flair and fluidity, the three pronged attack of Thomas, Menon and Chalmers proving too hot to handle. Thomas grabbed his second soon after the restart, his snaking run duly rewarded by a fine finish, and then scored his third moments later from long range.

York’s front three then combined well, a swashbuckling passing move leaving the home side like statues, as Chalmers made it 6-0 without so much as a hint of a Hull reply. Thomas added another before Menon released an unstoppable shot from outside the box to make it 8-0.

A lung busting run from Chalmers, starting deep in his own half culminated in a high, cross field pass to an unmarked Josh Illsley who finished emphatically. And Illsley scored again moments later, this time from well outside the Hull area.

The third quarter was much of the same – York camped firmly in Hull’s half, assailing the opposition’s goalmouth. Into double digits now, every member of the York side was having a crack. Even keeper Billy Rooks made a jaunt up field, his run only upended by a Hull player throwing his stick at him!

Menon scored York’s 11th before Chalmers added two more to the rout straight after. Nathan Beebe popped up with a one more as the third quarter ended 14-0.

Joe Tebbutt scored either side of Thomas’ fifth to underline a forceful York performance.