Men’s basketball firsts suffer narrow Hull defeat

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 50-62 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

In a passionate encounter, York were undone by a poor second quarter as they succumbed to a 62-50 defeat at the hands of a good Hull side. Despite the defeat, York can take heart from what was a performance full of herculean spirit.

The first quarter was a tremendously tight affair, with the first few minutes being particularly scrappy from both sides. Hull struck first after some slick play to race into a 4-0 lead, but York struck back immediately through some superb play from Janis Zicans. The remainder of the quarter went back and forth but ultimately Hull emerged to lead 12-11 with York very much in the game.

Unfortunately for York, the second quarter did not go to plan. Despite the early exchanges being fairly even, Hull soon turned the screw, playing some sensational stuff to race into a 34-20 lead. York were guilty of giving away too many fouls, giving Hull the opportunity to extend their lead.

However, they did manage to find their way back into the game through the exuberance and commitment of Andreas Boedt, who had superb game.

Indeed, in the third quarter, York were back within one point of Hull. Some wonderful play from the likes of Zicans, Boedt and the impressive Harry Lambert brought the score back to 36-35 to Hull and York were very much hopeful of snatching what would have been a sensational victory.

Hull, though stepped up a gear and took a 42-35 lead going into the final quarter. They then carried this momentum through into the early stages of the final quarter, turning on the style to race to 50 points. York again valiantly fought back, but inaccuracy around the basket and giving away fouls meant that their efforts were oft in vain.

Despite this, York never gave up and they managed to reach 50 points to record a narrow defeat to what was an excellent Hull side.

A visibly distraught captain Boedt said after the match: “We played well today. Everyone put so much effort in today, everyone stepped up. We were definitely unlucky today, we got caught on the break too often, but everyone played great.”