Mann of the match display secures win for football thirds

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3-2 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

View on Flickr

Images: Petroc Taylor

Joe Mann put in a virtuoso performance and Tom Parish scored a brace as the men’s football thirds came from behind to beat Hull in a thrilling Varsity clash.

York midfielder Harry O’Brien had the first decent chance, his dipping free kick cannoning off the bar; but it was Hull who found the breakthrough, courtesy of an unlucky deflection from Ollie Bull just before half time.

The equaliser, however, came soon after the restart, York captain David Kirk stabbing home Mann’s cross from close range, before Parish scored twice to give the visitors some breathing space.

In stoppage time, a stunning piece of individual brilliance from Hull’s Loz Hutchings gave the home side something to cheer, but it proved nothing more than a consolation as it ended 3-2 to York.

The visitors had started brightly, O’Brien twice testing Hull keeper Tom Sheffield from distance while Mann, who troubled throughout, forged an exciting partnership with Mark Askham down the left flank.

Kirk must have thought he’d scored as he latched on to Parish’s through ball, but his effort was cleared off the line by a Hull defender on the 20 minute mark before Mann saw his own half volley go inches wide.

It was half an hour before Hull mustered their first attempt on goal, as James Woods fired tamely at James Wilson. Their second was not to be as comfortable, moments later through Woods again, this time more testing. Wilson spilled the ball, but Askham was there with the clearance.

Despite York’s early pressure, it was the hosts who took the lead. As the away side failed to deal with an initially innocuous corner, a low drive bounced unkindly off Bull’s shin and into his own net on 40 minutes.

The visitors almost responded immediately through Parish, who struck from 20 yards, but the winger could not keep his shot down, as York trailed at half time.

Hull’s lead would not last long though, as Kirk found himself in space to poke home Mann’s inviting cross in the six yard box on the hour mark. And Parish scored almost identically five minutes later, Mann the provider once more.

Mann completed his hat trick of assists just two minutes after that, his searching cross field ball finding Parish again who went on to lob Tom Sheffield expertly from 18 yards.

James Briars could have made it 4-1 on 70 minutes, as the striker jinked his way past the last man, but he fired straight at the keeper.

As full time loomed, Hull substitute Hutchings set off on a mazy run from just outside the box, riding two challenges as he snaked his way through an up until then solid York defence, before coolly slotting past Wilson.

But the wonder goal proved too little too late and York saw out the game.

1. 18 Feb ’13 at 8:25 pm

Stuart Lancaster's second cousin once removed

Fabulous pun for the title!