Election candidate withdrawals rise to five

Mihaela Nemes

Mihaela Nemes

Five candidates have chosen to withdraw from the 2013 YUSU elections.

Those who have so far withdrawn their candidacy are Jack Baker previously running for Academic Officer, Mihaela Nemeş for Student Activities Officer, Wingchung Liu for York Sport President, William Hornett for Student Trustee, and Carrie Hellens and Georgie du Mello Kenyon for RAG Officer.

William Hornett

William Hornett

These withdrawals come following the four-hour candidate boot camp which took place on Wednesday, aimed at giving candidates an idea of what it is like to actually be in the position they are running for, and creating a forum for discussing how they will campaign.

Mihaela Nemeş spoke to Nouse about why she withdrew her candidacy.

“I wasn’t aware I had to take a year off and I am not willing to do it at the moment. But I still want that position and to be part of YUSU”. She said that was the “reason why I may give a try the next years.”

William Hornett also commented on his reasons for withdrawing from the race:

Jack Baker

Jack Baker

“I guess it was just a bit too much to take on at the moment, given that I have to sort out housing for next year and am involved in my band and being a new secretary in a society. Running for the position was just one thing too many to deal think about.”

The 2012 YUSU elections saw 54 candidates standing. There are now, following dropouts, 39 candidates standing in the 2013 elections.

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, commented on this drop in candidate numbers, telling Nouse:

“It’s gutting that some people have felt the need to drop out already, the more candidates we have then the better the election tends to be; though to an extent I can see why – campaigning can be immensely grueling. On the whole, the fact that we’ve fewer candidates than last year isn’t ideal either. Maybe last year was an exception, but still, we should work harder to encourage more people to stand. Whoever wins this round of elections really will have to make sure that the role of the Part Time Officer is given some proper attention once they assume office. Last year, newly elected PTO’s were not given the support they needed to hit the ground running, so I’ll be making sure they start as effectively as they can.”

“The candidate boot camps were effective enough. I couldn’t attend it sadly due to shortlisting for the new VC but the general consensus seems positive! I think they were particularly helpful for those people who may have been slightly more nervous than others.”

1. Seems like Craig Hodgkinson has withdrawn his candidacy for Mature Students’ Officer as well.

2. 18 Feb ’13 at 7:28 pm

Craig Hodgkinson

Yep I have withdrawn, I know I was the only person running for Mature Students Officer, but trying to work it around being 21+ Rep for James, my study and a job, I’m just not able to give it all the attention that it deserves. I’m gonna focus on being 21+ Rep for James and get more experience and apply next year :)

3. 18 Feb ’13 at 8:54 pm

Make Jason Rose do it

Or Chris Etheridge. They haven’t run for a while and I’m getting suspicious…

4. I hope they re-run some of the positions as I know someone who is going to enter as inanimate carbon rod bearer.

5. Why is there a hand on Jack Baker’s shoulder that doesn’t appear to have an arm?