Football Losing Its Identity

With Beckham’s best days behind him, do Paris Saint Germain see the 37-year-old as nothing more than a financial investment?

Football article - DavidBeckhamFeature

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, one of the most prolific strikers in world football. Lucas Moura, one of the best young Brazilian talents. Thiago Silva, one of the best centre backs in world football. David Beckham, one of the best midfielders in world football… 10 years ago. David Beckham possesses many attributes, but his footballing skills are no longer high on the list, so why have Paris Saint Germain, now once again one of the best clubs in Europe, signed him? It is no doubt to boost their image on a global front.

The Qatari owners of PSG are also keen on expanding into the American market and potentially purchasing a club in the MLS league and with Beckham now having extremely strong ties with that league, he in fact intends to purchase 25% shares in his previous club, LA Galaxy, he will only help improve their chances of doing so.

Welcome to Paris...

Welcome to Paris…

On a business front, it all seems very cunning, but it’s a shame how football is now being used almost as a marketing tool. Of course this is happening a lot elsewhere with Etihad purchasing the rights to Manchester City’s stadium and being sponsored on the team’s shirt, but that sort of deal is allowing Manchester City to expand in a footballing sense.

The PSG-Beckham deal so obviously only serves to enhance the business prospects of the club owners. Beckham has managed to maintain his dignity with this deal however, as he is donating his salary to charity which has done what seemed to be an impossible job, and increased his popularity further. It will also do no harm in boosting the sales of his cologne, but unfortunately this deal smells a bit fishy.

Photo credits in ascending order: Galaxypoker and bpreece

1. In other news, a bear wandered into a woods somewhere in Russia and did a shit in it!

2. Football has always been business; clubs are businesses, so of course they are going to look into news ways of generating revenue. None of this is new.

When Beckham moved to Real Madrid, the Spanish club nearly made their money back on the move in replica shirt sales alone, and that was 10 years ago. Welcome to football.