Clinical women’s squash team see off Northumbria

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3-1 NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern Conference 2B

Images: Petroc Taylor

The York women’s squash team eased past Northumbria this afternoon with a comprehensive 3-1 win in their final home fixture of the season.

In a dominant display from the White Rose, York ensured a strong finish in the BUCS Northern Division 2B, through a series of impressive match victories.

Ashling Foo shone with an emphatic 3-0 win over Northumbria’s Holly Furniss. Foo started the game of brightly, taking a solid 4-0 lead in the first game with a mammoth shot from deep. Covering the court with incredible athleticism, however, Wilson struck back, drawing level. After a brief tactical re-think, Foo turned on the class, outmanoeuvring her opponent to close out a solid first game 11-5.

Foo from then on was untouchable, marching past Wilson with real composure to close out the second game 11-2 and then the third 11-3 to win comprehensively.

Meanwhile, Alexia De Lambilly made serene progress in her match, closing out the first game 11-1 with a truly faultless performance, despite several long and draining rallies. De Lambilly’s level dropped in the second game, however, as her opponent began to sense blood, playing some unbelievable forehand winners.

But she showed great composure to close out a narrow second game 11-9, with a cheeky drop shot to seal the game. She eased through the third 11-7 to finish off her fatigued opponent.

It was not all glory, however, with captain Rebecca Alexander unable to put together any kind of rhythm against a tough opponent. Despite managing to stick with Northumbrian Jenny Wilson deep into some long and grinding rallies, she made some costly errors, going down in 3-0 in games.

The final match was a must win for York and so Foo’s sister Angelina took the court against Northumbria’s Laura Dyson. Foo was rarely troubled in the first and second games closing them out 11-2 and 11-4 respectively.

The third game was far tighter. Dyson got off to an early 4-0 lead, gliding across the court with considerable ease, whilst Foo looked tired. But Foo struck back, levelling with a lovely sliced backhand to send her opponent sprawling.

It was neck and neck from then on. Dyson looked comfortable on serve, making Foo do all the running, but Foo didn’t seem to mind, making some impossible shots to keep the game alive.

At 10-9, Foo had her first match point. However, she blew it, sending a weak forehand into the outline. Some great play across the court saw Foo with her second match point, which she took, to win the final game 12-10, and close out her match.

This gave York an impressive 3-1 victory to finish the season on a high, comfortable in mid-table. Now they can challenge for promotion next season, as progress has clearly been made.

Alexander, despite losing her match, was in bright spirits. “I’m happy with our win today,” she told Nouse. “We’ve had a solid season and this was a great way to win. We didn’t really look in trouble today, but we know we can improve, so we’ll look forward to next season positively.”