YUSU President proposes a fourth loan for medics

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, is to propose a motion to the NUS Conference in April with the aim of improving and increasing the availability of funding including maintenance loans for Medical, Midwifery and Nursing students.

One suggestion includes the spreading of current loan payments to make a fourth maintenance loan for medical students over the summer, to help cover the additional costs a medical degree incurs.

Taylor commented on the decision: “Much more needs to be done for those students whose academic and course-work placements run right through the summer holiday period.

“Such commitments and the very long hours, make it incredibly difficult for those students to find a job to earn money during the holidays in order to afford the living, travel and hidden course costs they have to pay.”

“YUSU is working alongside student reps for the relevant courses, other student unions and NUS reps to ensure that any proposals made are ‘bold and achievable’ and would be of genuine benefit to students on these demanding courses.”

Taylor added that this was an important step in YUSU’s aim to increase the union’s inclusivity, saying “Just because their course commitments are different, and the funding comes from the NHS, doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t fight their corner.”

“We are looking to pick up some more local, campus based issues for those students, like improving transport to and from placements, finding them a decent place to relax outside of study hours, and having a YUSU presence around their ‘part’ of campus.”