White Rose Varsity 2013 Preview

With York’s teams travelling to Hull this Sunday for Varsity, Nouse looks at where this year’s tournament will be won and lost

With York’s teams travelling to Hull this Sunday for Varsity, Nouse looks at where this year’s tournament will be won and lost.

Women’s Football
The women’s football will definitely be a match worth watching next weekend. Vicky DeCamp’s side have been in imperious form in the past few weeks with her side reaching the semi finals of the BUCS cup, defeating a very strong Leeds unit on their way. With the exceptional Bea Rye and Sam Barker providing York with some serious creativity in midfield and strikers Amy Johnson and Jess Craig in dangerous form, York will be confident they can walk away victors.

Their Hull rivals may be in the league above York, but the Black and Gold have shown their class this season and have clearly been a cut above the rest in the BUCS Northern Conference 4B. York will go into the match as the far more confident side as well after defeating the higher placed Hull 2-1 last week on their way to their cup quarter final against Leeds.

Image: Agatha Torrance

Image: Agatha Torrance

Men’s Football
Football provides one of the biggest points hauls of the day and, perhaps more importantly for York, a shot at revenge. Last season, the men’s firsts were locked in a tense relegation battle that came down to their final match – against Hull on 22 Acres. A lacklustre performance was punished by a late wonder goal that consigned the Black and Gold to a demoralising 3-2 defeat and relegation.

But with Matt Mawdesley’s side looking good for an immediate promotion this season, Sunday may be their chance to exorcise some demons.

The men’s seconds and thirds side are also in action, as are a college barbarians side.

Tom Day, Football President: “After some disappointing experiences of Varsity to date, I’m hoping that now it’s being held in Hull it will be taken a little more seriously. There should be a few competitive matches and it’s a good opportunity for the boys to get a run-out at the weekend.”

Badminton
There are a lot of points up for grabs in the badminton, with the men’s firsts match in particular promising to be a thrilling contest. With the sides having drawn twice already this season, whoever can come out on top in this encounter would provide a significant boost to their university’s chances.

Baillie Watterson, Badminton Team President: “I’d agree the men’s firsts match is likely to be the hardest fought battle of the day. When we played the away, we were missing two of our strongest players due to illness and injury, so we are hopeful that we can finally secure a win against them this season. Hull have some strong players, so it promises to be a tough match.

“The men’s third team are also looking for revenge having been knocked out of the BUCS Cup by the Scarborough campus team, while we are expecting a fairly comfortable result in the ladies match, as our ladies second team beat Hull firsts in the league earlier this season.”

Image: Lily Grant

Image: Lily Grant

Lacrosse
It’s a big week in lacrosse – the high-flying men’s team are in BUCS action against Hull on Wednesday before Sunday’s clash. The women’s team will also be confident of picking up yet another big victory on Humberside.

William Chun, Men’s Captain: “We’re feeling confident. We’ll be playing them twice in one week so we hope to beat them both times.”

Netball
The 2012 edition of the women’s firsts netball clash was one of the most exciting matches of the day. Facing a team that are two divisions above them, York pushed their Humberside opponents all the way and only lost by a narrow three-point margin. That two league gap still exists, but if York can replicate their performance from last year, it could be close again.

With four more netball matches on Sunday, if York produce the kind of form they showed last year they can go a long way to bringing the trophy back home.

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

MMA
MMA was the undoubted highlight of last year’s contest, as a capacity crowd in Hendrix Hall was electrified by a series of intense battles. Hull came back from a 4-2 deficit to draw the match, but it was a superb performance from York in their first taste of competitive action.

Herbert van Litsenburg, MMA Club President: “It is a quite an important event and we are all very motivated. I am expecting a win this year. Depending obviously on the level of Hull’s fighters. But we as a team have increased significantly, simply by putting more hours into developing our fighting skills.

“Any MMA event, which is quite unusual for a tournament such as Varsity, will clearly bring a lot of excitement to the tournament. As long as there is a friendly but competitive atmosphere, I’ll be satisfied. And I’m sure there will be as I know both our team and Hull’s team are very excited about fighting on the 17th.”