The Recipe: Xing’s Mayalsian Chicken Curry

Try Xing’s very own recipe for scrumptious, easy and healthy Malaysian curry

19844_l

500 g chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
4 kaffir lime leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
400 ml coconut milk
100 ml chicken stock
1 teaspoon palm sugar (or brown sugar)
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
200 g green beans, trimmed
2 tomatoes, chopped
Coriander leaves, roughly chopped

To make curry paste, put two garlic cloves, one red chilli, a lemon grass stalk, 2cm fresh ginger and two shallots in a food processor or blender to form a paste. Or get the elbow grease out and use a pestle and mortar.

Next, heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Tip in the curry paste and stir over a low heat for 5 mins.

Add the onions and let them gently sweat for 5 mins until they go clear.

Add the coconut milk, lime leaves, cinnamon stick, star anise, stock, sugar, soy and fish sauces and turn up heat to bring to the boil. Reduce the heat back down to a simmer and cook gently for 1 hour to let the flavours come together. (It will taste very harsh straight away. Don’t panic. After an hour it’s lovely!).

Add the chicken, tomatoes and beans and cook for 10 – 15 mins until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Check a couple of pieces by pulling them apart. You don’t want any pink meat inside.

Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with a scattering of coriander leaves over the curry, and a bit of rice.

The best place to buy these ingredients is one of the asian supermarkets around the town; the closest one is Freshways on Hull Road. It’s much cheaper to get all the spices, and you’re much more likely to find them.