Society ratification process overhauled

YUSU have agreed to change how societies are approved at the application stage after the recent Palestinian Solidarity Society debacle.

From now on, there will be a ‘clearly defined body’ to assess any society applications that are made, as well as a separate appeals body independent of the original panel.

This will now allow both the original and appeals panels to work under strict guidelines without influence from each other.
Josiah Mortimer, Press Officer for the Palestinian Solidarity Society, had previously told Nouse that the system was, “deeply flawed,” with the “appeals committee composed of exactly the same individuals as the original Societies Committee.”

The newly created society was recently ratified following a petition with over 100 signatures after an appeal against their initial rejection by YUSU also failed.

The Palestinian Solidarity Society had previously criticised YUSU’s handling of the matter as being “deeply flawed”.

This has led the society to work closely with Chris West, YUSU’s Activities Officer, in a recent meeting to ‘make sure guidelines are transparent, robust and consistently applied as well as differentiating the composition of hearing and appeal panels’.

From now on, both the hearing and appeals panel will work independently of a ‘checklist of key attributes’ needed to form a society, which will be made available to all applicants when they collect the application form.

West told Nouse that, “we feel that this ensures a clear and transparent process, and minimises any subjectivity over the society criteria.”
YUSU also noted to Nouse that these decisions have been based around the Palestinian Solidarity Soc’s feedback as well as others who have got in contact with them.

Mortimer told Nouse; “We are delighted that YUSU have listened to our concerns and are moving forward with reforming a very flawed and opaque appeals procedure.
“It took a lot of campaigning by the Palestinian Solidarity Society for this change to go ahead, after being rejected twice on unclear grounds.
“It is crucial that the procedure is corrected and made more transparent and we will continue to work with YUSU to ensure the changes made are far-reaching and fair.”