‘Poor’ Health Centre waiting times

Despite  improvements, the health centre scored poorly in a survey. Photo Credit: Peter Iveson

Despite improvements, the health centre scored poorly in a survey. Photo Credit: Peter Iveson

Results of the University Health Centre survey have revealed an increase in students dissatisfaction with waiting times.

61 per cent of respondents rated the waiting time for appointments as poor or very poor, a significant increase from 46 per cent in 2010. Even for urgent appointments, 63 per cent of patients stated that they were unable to see someone on the same day.

One patient commented “Having to wait up to 2 weeks to see a doctor is not acceptable when the ailment is now, not next week.”

The survey, conducted by YUSU, was intended to measure improvements in the University Health Centre. The last survey was published in 2010.

Booking appointments was also an issue, with 35 per cent of patients who had tried to book an appointment by phone stating that they were disappointed with the service, an increase from 20.1 per cent in the 2010 survey.

Shorter waiting times, more provision for emergency appointments and more appointment times available over the weekend were suggested by respondents.

Overall 75.9 per cent of patients surveyed were satisfied with their experience of Dr Price and Partners, whilst 24.1 per cent of respondents rated their experience as poor or very poor, a decrease from 30.5 per cent in 2010.

Almost 26 per cent of patients felt that their concerns were not taken seriously and 24 per cent felt that the medical practitioner did not fully understand the concerns being raised.

This represents a marked decrease from 2010, where 42.2 per cent did not feel that their concerns were taken seriously and 38.7 per cent did not feel under-derstood.

The survey was completed by 347 people, 282 of whom were users of the service. Respondents were 22.7 per cent male, 76.6 per cent female and 0.7 per cent who preferred not to say.

37 per cent of the respondents identified as having a disability or a long term illness. Of these 57 per cent were satisfied with the service they had received, whilst 27 per cent were not, stating that the doctors had been dismissive of certain problems and unwilling to prescribe necessary medication.

The Health Centre’s sexual health services, and the information available about these services, also came up as an issue for some patients.
Only 17 per cent of respondents were aware of the service, 46 per cent had heard about it but were not sure when to go, 37 per cent had never heard of it. 28 respondents had actually used the service.

Of these, 50 per cent stated that the services were satisfactory whilst 40 per cent rated them dissatisfactory.

Concerns were raised over the experiences of LGBT students.

One patient commented, “The sexual health provision for gay men was completely inadequate and the nurse was poorly equipped and poorly informed.”

1. If my phone didn’t cost £450 I’d have thrown it across the room after attempting to use their telephone booking system. And don’t even get me started on the “hold” music – we do not need to be told every ten seconds (literally – I counted) that we are on hold.

That said, I can’t fault the service – they’ve always been pretty helpful and knowledgeable, in my case at least.