New ‘LIPS’ Society

Following the successful launch on February 1 attended by over 50 people, newly formed organisation Ladies in Politics (LIPS) has spoken to Nouse about their plans for the future

Following the successful launch on February 1 attended by over 50 people, newly formed organisation Ladies in Politics (LIPS) has spoken to Nouse about their plans for the future.

Describing themselves as “a group of like minded self-identifying women free from specific political affiliation striving to improve female participation in politics both on campus and after graduation”.

The group intend in future to organise public speaking workshops aimed at women, and aim to invite women who have been heavily involved in public life to give talks and campaign to reduce the barriers to women running for election to JCRC, YUSU and GSA positions.

And more generally the barriers to ‘attending events, public debates and other political forums.’

LIPS main priority for the coming term is to secure society ratification.

They hope to have completed the preliminary work for this by Easter and if possible to have submitted an application.