The Column: Fashion wins all round

takes a trip round the world of fashion, rounding up the news, views and testing zoos from the last three weeks

Naomi-Campbell1

The past few weeks have been full of fashion wins of all kinds, from Vogue’s Fashion Fund to Naomi Campbell’s Telegraph court case. Last November, the Daily Telegraph published an article with the headline ‘Elephant polo at Campbell’s party criticised’. The newspaper reported that the supermodel was organising an elephant polo tournament for her partner Vladislav Doronin’s 50th birthday party, in Jodhpur. The article flooded the internet and prompted strong criticism from animal rights groups, with protests gathered outside the party venue. She even upset the Indian government; apparently they wrote to Campbell’s representatives to express their concern for Miss Campbell’s party plans.

However, this London lady is known for being no shrinking violet and so she took on the paper in a lengthy legal battle. Campbell claimed that the article was false and affected her reputation. She came out on top and was rewarded ‘substantial’ libel damages and an apology. Campbell has now accepted the newspapers apology in a win for one of British and international fashion’s most famous faces.

bunnyIt’s not only the elephants in India that can rest easy this month, as it’s been confirmed that from 11 March cosmetics tested on animals can not be sold within the European Union. The ban will affect all toiletries; everything from your Dior lipstick to your Tesco Value toothpaste. If any of the toiletries ingredients have been tested on animals they will not be being sold in the EU. The ban was proposed all the way back in 2009, so it has been a long time coming, but better late then never and a sure win for fluffy bunnies everywhere (and, more likely, rats and mice too).

minju kimMoving from legal cases to fashion awards, the winner of the H&M’s 2013 Design Award was announced on 29 February as Minju Kim. The South Korean design student won over a prestigious judging panel that included Jonathan Saunders, and was victorious over seven other students from across Europe, including Maia Bergman from Central Saint Martins. Kim’s delightfully creative collection won her €50,000 and the chance to sell pieces from her collection in selected H&M stores for autumn 2013.

Back in Britain, the British Fashion Council (BFC)/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund have announced their winner: the footwear master, Nicholas Kirkwood. It’s British fashion’s ‘richest prize’, started in 2008 by BFC chairman Harold Tillman and funded by some of Britain’s most famous names; Burberry, Marks & Spencer, Paul Smith, Harrods and, of course, Vogue. Each year a judging panel made up of some of the finest in the business get together to choose a worthy winner of £200,000 and access to a selection of the most influential mentors in the world. nicholas-kirkwood-sparkly-heelsThe idea behind the fund is to discover Britain’s most promising talent and take it from an established business based in Britain to global super-stardom. Nicholas Kirkwood was up against tough competition, fighting against a shortlist comprising of Mary Katrantzou and Peter Pilotto amongst others. Past winners include the print-loving, master of colour Jonathan Saunders and the phenomenal Mr Christopher Kane. Kirkwood can be proud to join a list of the best of British. Kirkwood said he was ‘thrilled’ and that the fund would enable him to ‘develop his plans globally’. A wonderful win for fashion, and a huge congratulations to all the winners this past few weeks.