Candidates Announced for YUSU Elections

The candidates for the YUSU Elections have been announced.

Campaigning is still a week away, beginning on Monday week seven (February 18), and voting will be open from Monday to Friday of week eight (February 25 – March 1).

Meanwhile, Nouse has started an elections blog, Yusu Yak, for all the elections gossip and analysis.

The candidates will be congregating in YourSpace on Wednesday for their first ‘bootcamp’, where they will be given advice and guidance, as well as having all the campaign rules explained to them. In previous years, campaigning before the allotted start date has led to sanctions for candidates.

There will be a debate for candidates for full time officer positions on Tuesday February 19 at 7.15pm, however the venue has not been announced.

The full candidate list is as follows:

YUSU President

Kallum Taylor
Matthew Stephenson
Thomas Banks

Academic Officer

Daniel Whitmore
Emma Brownbill
Jason Brandwood
Matthew Kilcoyne
Nick Hall

Welfare Officer

George Offer
Jordan Lloyd

York Sport President

Cassandra Brown
George Richards
James Ashrafi-Tari
Wingchung Liu

Student Activities Officer

Anna McGivern
Chris West
Gabrielle James
Mihaela Nemes
Sam Malone
Sebastian Odell

LGBTQ Officer

Madeline Boden & Conor Roche

Disabled Students’ Officer

Alix Penn & Maddy Kirkman
Thomas Ron

Racial Equality Officer

No candidates

Womens’ Officer

Saskia Papadakis & Josie Field

Mature Students’ Officer

Craig Hodgkinson

International Students’ Officer

Mike Anstey
Yvoni-Stefania Efstathiou

Campaigns Officer

Leon Morris

Environment & Ethics Officer

Alexandro Rizzo
Nick Devlin & Jamie Elliott

RAG Officer

Beth Campbell & Barbara Grant
Carrie Hellens & Georgie du Mello Kenyon
Kate Elliott & Beth Greenwood

Volunteering Officer

Octavia Elphick-Smith & Sanjna Shah

Senate Representative

Cadan ap Tomos
Daisy Hale
Harry Toynton

Student Trustee

Bethan Evelyn Forrest
Chris Robert
Lee ‘D Train’ Cook
Matthew Taylor
William Hornett

Union Chair

Lloyd Wallis

Edited 16/Feb/13 to remove reference to Jack Baker, who has withdrawn his candidacy for the post of Academic Officer.

1. Sad to see no women standing for President, that’ll make it six years without a woman in the top job.

Also, what has Chris West achieved that merits standing again??

2. Here’s predicting another all male Sabb team…

:(

3. Really disappointed to see Chris West standing again, if he wins I will literally despair.

4. I’m not too worried about the genders of the candidates, I’m more worried that I barely know who any of them are.

5. Not such a bad thing. Especially outside of Presidential candidates, who are typically college chairs or the like, you aren’t likely to know who a candidate for, say, Student Activities is unless you are directly involved with a society they’ve been in. Same for sport. I’m most surprised by the small number running for Welfare, especially since (if I may be cynical for a moment) there was guaranteed to be no incumbent. Unless people were just worried about following in Bob Hughes’ footsteps.

6. Wait a minute, didn’t Leon Morris recently stand down from his LGBT role at YUSU because he said he couldn’t cope with his degree work and the role yet went on to run for Vanbrugh chair and now campaigns officer?

7. Mmm, anyone would think you’d dealt with him previously: “having dealt with him I can confirm from having dealt with him…”

I can’t see a reason for Taylor not to win again; he’s added a 30% approval rating to YUSU in the space of year and actually takes genuine interest and concern in the day-to-day wellbeing of students and the issues that affect their student lives.

Of course, York does have a vast number of students who take exception to damn-near all organisations and start-ups regardless of how well or otherwise they’ve done (see ‘Spotted’, about a month ago). Idiots.

8. People moaning about the lack of women need to get a grip. I am a woman and couldn’t care less. I would rather get away from uni and start my life than cling to being a student for another year

9. @Charlotte
    “I am a woman and couldn’t care less.”

Congrats for such an enlightened comment. You might not care less, but that doesn’t mean that female representation isn’t an issue. An all-male sabbatical team is hardly going to inspire women at the university to challenge YUSU positions and the fact that there have been more joke candidates for chair than female historically is clear evidence of the wider issue of female empowerment on campus.

10. There is nothing to stop a woman going for any of the positions. You can’t force women into something they don’t want to do for the sake of female representation.

It’s not a conspiracy against women for goodness sake.

11. It’s not a case of ‘forcing’ women in to anything; increased female representation in the union means women are more visible in the union, which would likely result in more women standing in future.

If there aren’t inspiring female figures for students to relate to, then it’s less likely that women will stand. No conspiracy necessary.

12. Inspiring female figures? What kind of person would you have to be to look up to someone involved in student politics anyway? I respect the great writers, scientists and leaders of the past and present. I don’t look at Charlotte Winter and think ‘I want to change the world like her.”

13. 12 Feb ’13 at 8:41 pm

Dom Mckinnon Green

Where are the uni 1’s candidates? This is a bigger travesty.

14. It’s clearly not a case of forcing women to stand for positions, and I hope that nobody’s foolish enough to believe that that’s what’s being suggested. It’s evidently very pertinent to ask why a demographic (regardless of who it represents) containing over 50% of the student population feels in the most part unenthusiastic towards running for positions in YUSU. Aside from culturally inculcated notions of separate gender roles in society, men and women aren’t very different. As far as I know, there’s nothing in a woman’s biological make up that would make her less inclined to run for positions of power to such an extent as we can see here. So why is it that so few women feel the desire and the confidence to run for positions? As I said before, it’s not about forcing people to do things they wouldn’t choose to. Rather, it’s a case of changing perceptions, beliefs and prejudices in our university (and, of course, in society at large) so that women feel more confident in pursuing their goals and greater aspirations. I’ll certainly be voting for female candidates (where applicable) as much as possible (i.e. where they represent my views) over men because I think greater representation would beget greater enthusiasm and confidence and so on.

15. On another note, if Chris West wins I think I’ll cook and eat my left leg in a misery of surprise and despair.

16. *a mix of misery, surprise and despair

17. All male sabb team? You realise there are lots of women running for roles?

Roll on up Cass Brown, strong willed, determined, great role model. And in the typically “most male dominated role”.

There could definitely be more, but female candidates are not actively discouraged.
    Rather than complain about it on a student media blog, why not start a campaign with the help of YUSU. Raising awareness, and encouraging future candidates.

18. I’m banking on Banks!

19. @Dylan: 50% female university attendance does not automatically equal 50% female YUSU officers. That might be the perfectly representative situation, but look where we are more broadly: (roughly) 50% female UK population does not equal 50% female MPs, cabinet ministers or prime ministers. I’m not saying that’s right, but there are likely to be broader aspects at play (e.g. men and women being – dare I say it – different, and having different hopes, aspirations, appetites and priorities) than just institutionalised gender discrimination.

Yes, we should ensure women to stand and judge them on their merits in the same way we would men; but quotas and/or ‘positive’ discrimination ultimately helps no-one.

20. On this page it says Carrie Hellens & Georgie du Mello Kenyon are running for RAG officer but there isnt a page on them like the others?

21. On the biological side.

Men tend to be natural leaders than women. Men tend to be more decisive than women and can see the bigger picture better.
    Men in general are leaders of tribes ect, it has been happening for thousands of years.

This is how humans evolved.

Next thing you people are going to be complaining how women don’t have penises and how it’s unfair.

22. The above commenter is a clucking moron.

23. @Champagne

I am sorry that facts came in the way of your naive political correctness.

24. 18 Feb ’13 at 5:19 pm

Magnum's Moustache

@SS

Well, that’s one of the most stunningly ignorant and laughable comments I’ve ever come across. Please come back when you’ve grown into a fully functional human being.

25. @Magnum’s Moustache

Go study a science book, before you dribble your PC rubbish.
    In a funny way we are back to the dark ages, It used to be, if a fact went against what was written in the bible, it was ridiculed .

Now facts are ridiculed and dismissed because it does not sound PC.
    PC is the new bible

You lot are bunch of extremist, and university education is not educating you.

26. @SS: One of the only biological ‘facts’ of gender that has any real scientific basis is that men tend to be physically stronger than women, and that’s the reason they’ve been leaders throughout history. ‘Decisive’ in this context is essentially a euphemism for ‘able to bully everyone else into submission’. Thankfully we don’t live in prehistoric times any more and physical strength no longer has no bearing on the leadership capabilities of men or women. So, frankly, you can take your misogynistic, pseudo-scientific nonsense and stuff it next to your phrenology calipers.

27. @TW

You are another example of how PC culture makes university students ignorant.

Here is another interesting fact. Women would rather have a male leader than a female leader.

In general, yes I can generalise because there are patterns.

Men tend to be more logical, more in control of their emotion, decisive and have more charisma and find it easier to lead the masses.

You ever wondered why cult leaders are men? due to Charisma? Charm? Decisive? Can see the bigger picture?

I am not saying women cannot be leaders but more men will have these skills than women in general. That is why leaders will never be 50:50 men and women.

28. SS, even assuming everything you have said about men and women is true, you have not presented any evidence that this is due to biological traits rather than traits that are culturally-acquired.

29. @Matt Sharp

Stop being lazy, all the evidence that it is due to biological difference is on the internet, just google them with an open mind.
    You will find many research papers on these topics.

30. You’re the one making the claims; you should provide the evidence.

31. I reiterate- SS is a clucking moron.

Don’t feed the trolls.

32. 20 Feb ’13 at 1:22 am

The Voice of Reason

“Men tend to be more logical, more in control of their emotion, decisive and have more charisma and find it easier to lead the masses.”

Similar arguments and appeals to “nature” were employed to justify slavery, segregation, and just about every unpleasant sort of regime throughout history, none of which were more “natural” than any other.

I also notice you have yet to provide one scrap of empirical evidence to support these claims, apart from some vague gestures to natural history and saying it can all be found “on the internet”. Links, please?