Incredible women’s lacrosse firsts destroy Liverpool

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 20-2 LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern Conference Cup

View on Flickr

Images: Agatha Torrance

The women’s lacrosse team put on a scintillating performance of pure poetry and technical brilliance to crush Liverpool 20-2 in the first round of the BUCS Cup on Saturday.

In an incredibly one-sided affair, Georgie Saunders once again confirmed her meteoric status with an astonishing seven goals, whilst Tessa Russell and Katie Barrett both scored hat tricks.

Liverpool started the match strongly, dominating possession in the opening exchanges, and confidently keeping the ball firmly in York’s end of the pitch. Goalkeeper Lizzie Fox was sensational in goal, however, proving to be an unbreakable fortress.

But York, with Liverpool looking feisty, were the first to strike, with Saunders scoring a superb goal in the bottom of the net from a perfectly weighted pass from captain Alex Whitehand. Saunders quickly added to this with another goal.

The match remained relatively even, however, with the both teams sharing possession evenly.

Soon Tessa Russell struck with a goal from some fabulous link-play with Izzy Mattick and Sarah Hughes. It was not long before Saunders added to this lead to put York 4-0 ahead.

After a brief revival from Liverpool, the sides went in at the end of the first quarter with York’s 5-1 lead not quite justifying their dominance.

Liverpool started the second half the brighter of the two sides, scoring a second goal, despite some questionable gamesmanship.

York did not panic though, quickly striking back with two more goals from Saunders, Whitehand neatly slicing through the Liverpool to set up the first, and Alexis Bond tearing up the midfield to assist the second.

By now York were in ascendancy, playing with real fluidity, outmanoeuvring Liverpool in all areas of the pitch. At half time they held a deserved 9-2 lead.

The third quarter continued in similar vein, with Liverpool unable to get any period of possession. Claire Thomas was impressive up front, scoring two fabulous goals despite being heavily marked. Barrett also was superb, bagging her hat trick in the space of five minutes in the third quarter.

The fourth quarter was nothing more than a formality, with York clinically nailing the lid on Liverpool’s coffin with four more goals to romp to a 20-2 win against their traditionally tough opponents.

Not only are York now in a good position to clinch promotion in the league, but they have also started off their cup campaign in fantastic fashion. The side are starting to strike up a real chemistry that could take them far in the tournament.

Whitehand was overjoyed, “I’m so pleased,” she told Nouse. “We haven’t been able to train for the whole of this term because of the snow, but to come out and produce a performance like that on very little team play is unbelievable. And now we get to go on a cup run to compete with the boys, who always rub it in our faces that they always get to the final, so hopefully we can equal them, who knows!”