York Sailing prepare for national qualifiers

sailing

Both of York Sailing’s teams have been putting in the hours in the last few weeks despite the horrendous weather in order to prepare for the upcoming BUSA Northern Qualifiers this weekend.

This event defines each team’s season, as success will result in an opportunity to race at the BUSA National Finals later in the year.

The team racing squad have consistently been leaving their houses before the sun had properly risen and have barely been off the water before the sun disappeared again below the horizon. The level of commitment but perhaps more accurately, insanity, has particularly been shown in the last two weekends where the teams have faced snow, temperatures as low as -7°C and subsequently a partially frozen lake and wind in excess of 25 knots.

While most, if not all, other outdoor sporting fixtures were cancelled, York Sailing were still training hard; determination and commitment which should be highly praised.

On Saturday 19th January, York’s Black and Gold teams welcomed Leeds for a day of joint training. There was real evidence of improvement as the races went on, particularly in the success of various team racing moves. Having other sailors to race against simulated the challenges that will be faced at BUSA Northerns which could prove to be invaluable this weekend.

With a hard few weeks behind them, the squad will travel to Leeds this weekend aiming for some top results.

To keep up to date with their progress this weekend, follow the Sailing Club on Twitter and keep an eye on the BUSA Sailing Facebook page for full results. The York teams are entered officially as York Black and York Yellow.

Team Racing captain Matt Goacher commented, “The team has put in a huge amount of effort in some atrocious weather which will hopefully pay off at the qualifiers. We are all very excited about the prospect of recording York’s best ever season for a decade!”