The Naked Baker: Banana Muffins

is the Naked Baker and shows us the perfect solution for those black bananas squashed at the bottom of your backpack

banana muffinsThe daily dilemma that I face on entering or even passing on of the many cafes scattered around campus is whether I can resist buying a muffin. But here is a solution to this: make your own. They will taste better (not least because you made them yourself) and you will have at least 15 muffins. So much more satisfying than a lonely one.

Banana bread is easy to make, delicious and as everyone know the best way to deal with too many ripe bananas. I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t love the moist, sweet banana-yness of it all (even though I don’t normally like cake I will happy munch on a slice). Banana muffins are even quicker to cook and delicious fresh out of the oven. If you have some left over the next day (as if!) they make a quick breakfast – as for healthy, well they do have a fruit in them…

Feel free to customise your banana batter, but be careful not to overpower it with too many flavours. Walnuts work very well, as would any kind of nut – some people like to add raisins for texture and I’ve often thrown in a drop of vanilla extract. Make sure your bananas are ripe – the blacker the better for sweetness and mashing. The recipe is a basic muffin mix with lots of bananas so add whatever extras you fancy. Just avoid any strong flavours like ginger.

Ingredients

4-5 very ripe bananas
180g plain flour
2 eggs
4tbsp sunflower oil
160g sugar
2½ tsps baking powder

Makes about 15 muffins

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C and prepare 15 paper muffin cases. Peel bananas, put all but one in a bowl and mash till smooth. Set aside.
  2. In another bowl mix oil, eggs and sugar till pale and frothy. Sift in flour and baking powder. Mix well. Add in mashed bananas. Coarsely chop the remaining banana and thoroughly mix in.
  3. Spoon into cases (using teaspoons makes this easier). Put in oven for about 15 minutes – when the muffins are done they should be risen and brown. Check if they are cooked by inserting a cocktail stick – they are done if it comes out clean. If they are still not done, give them a few more minutes but be careful not to overcook them (as they will be dry).
  4. Guard well from sly housemates wise to the culinary beauty of your creation.