The Recipe: Brian’s Eggs Benedict with Parsley Sauce

Delve into Brian’s canon of recipes and discover this delicious and healthy variation on a breakfast classic

Eggs Benedict originated in New York in 1897, when Lemuel Benedict, a tired and disillusioned stockbroker, wandered into some posh hotel and demanded a muffin with bacon, egg and hollandaise sauce. Here, Brian gives us a refreshing and simple version to whip up in 5 minutes.

Credit: balise42

Credit: balise42

2 slices Yorkshire ham
1 English muffin, halved and toasted
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 free-range eggs

For the parsley sauce
55g Wensleydale cheese
150ml double cream
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

For the Eggs Benedict, halve and lightly toast the muffin, then fold the ham and arrange on top of the muffin halves. Ensure housemates do not nibble ham while you are focussed elsewhere.

Bring a deep pan of water to the boil and add the vinegar. Reduce to a very gentle simmer, then swirl the water around with a wooden spoon to create a whirlpool. Gently crack the eggs into the centre of the whirlpool one at a time and poach for 2-3 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain and place on top of your un-nibbled ham.

For the sauce, grate the cheese and place with cream into a pan and bring to a simmer, stirring until the cheese is melted. Make sure it does not boil too much or you will end up with greasy curdled cheese soup. No one wants that. Season with freshly ground black pepper then stir in the parsley. Drizzle the parsley sauce over the poached eggs and muffin. Eat immediately. Again, ward off pariah housemates with hangovers. Feel smug inside all day after a superb start to the day.

As stated in our disclaimer, Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.