The Naked Baker: Chocolate and Guinness Cake

Frankie Colletti is the Naked Baker, and explains her recipe for the weird yet wonderful Chocolate and Guinness Cake

guinness and chocolateJanuary is the perfect month to bake; people need comfort at this time of year more than any other. Christmas and New Year are over, it’s cold, and snow is really fun for a few minutes before you realise you have to walk somewhere, like onto campus. Everyone’s had exams, and people are just starting to realise that maybe they should do some work this year.

In summary, fun times all round. This cake has all the best pick-me-uppers: chocolate, cake, sugar and everyone’s favourite, alcohol. It’s also topped with the ever delightful sugar and cream cheese. Say no to a dreary, grey January and miserable diets, and yes to desserts, that’s my motto.

This is easily my favourite cake ever. Honestly, it tastes amazing, it’s rich, sweet and moist with a lovely tangy stout taste. Also, it doesn’t hurt that every time I make it, people suddenly seem to think I’m this amazing chef when actually I struggle making cupcakes (my goodness, they’re tricky). It’s so simple and quick, with delicious results every time. The only problem is that friends will keep asking you to make it again and again. You have been warned.

chocguinIngredients
250ml Guinness
250g unsalted butter
400g caster sugar
75g cocoa powder
140ml sour cream
2 medium eggs
275g self-raising flour
300g cream cheese
150g icing sugar
125ml double cream

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 180C and butter two cake tins. Pour the Guinness into a saucepan on medium heat, add the butter and heat until melted, then whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
Whisk the sour cream and eggs together, pour into the pan on a lower heat. Whisk in the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes. When baked, leave the cake to cool before removing it from the tin otherwise it will completely crumble.

For the icing; lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve the icing sugar and beat them together. Or if (like me) you’re super lazy, use a blender.
Add the cream until it’s spreadable, and ice the top of the cake to look like a frothy head of Guinness! Then you may need to hide it away from housemates.

1. Just made your cake and looks good. Could you confirm the amount of bi carb I should have put in. Nothing in your ingredients, but mentioned with the whisk in the flour part. I put in a teaspoonful but notice some other recipes use plain flour and bicarb, or a mixture of baking powder and bi carb. Mine sunk in the middle just a little and this could be the cause.