On Trend: Men’s Fashion Week

The top trends from London’s MFW include a flash of orange, and the bizarre girlfriend dressing

CFL024_2201013_ISS004-3

TREND: ORANGE

Orange was a big trend last Autumn/Winter, and it’s back again this year. ‘Safety orange’, or ‘inmate orange’ as some have called it, was seen everywhere from Rake to Jonathan Saunders. Topman Design went for full impact orange with a head to toe vibrant orange ensemble. Obviously Topman Design’s look is not for everyone; wearing orange from your scarf to your socks and shoes isn’t really suitable for a seminar, nor the supermarket shop, or many events for that matter, (apart from Halloween, perhaps). However, don’t worry, you can still be on trend without having to wear an outfit that makes you look like a pumpkin.

CFL024_2201013_ISS004-2

Many designers showed us how to work the trend cheaply and simply. E. Tautz showed orange socks. Oliver Spencer provided a pop of colour to his collection with orange accessories, a peek of an orange jumper under a shearling coat, and some brilliant burnt orange hold-alls. Frida Giannini at Gucci also let orange provide an accent to her collection with a fabulous orange jumper – I think every man’s wardrobe should include one. It wasn’t just single colour pieces, Jonathan Saunders, ‘King of Colour’, showed colour blocked coats in gradients from black to taupe to deep orange. With easy to wear items like Rake’s orange trousers and Richard Nicoll’s neon beanies, the orange trend is sure to hit the high street in a big way.

CFL024_2201013_ISS004
TREND: “GIRLFRIEND DRESSING”

We girls love our fashion, dressing up, donning frills and wearing some floral ensemble and it seems men are now following in our footsteps. Designers such as J.W. Anderson, Christopher Kane and Katie Eary all adopted the trend dubbed ‘girlfriend dressing’. These designers are taking inspiration from the ladies in their lives, or rather their womenswear collections, and feeding them into their menswear offerings. Prior to Eary’s runway show I don’t think many of us could believe that fushsia flowers could adopt a dark undertone; let alone be a masculine statement. But incorporate sharp, stern cut shoulders, the occasional black leather sleeve and a flash of vampire fang and you have the winning combination of boys in petals and looking pleasing. CFL024_2201013_ISS004-1 Kane’s incorporation of the ‘Girlfriend trend’ opposes that of Anderson’s obvious feminine touch. He uses the style of women in his new collection but avoids obvious cuts. They are on a literal no-frills basics: the t-shirt, the sweatshirt, the peacoat, the bomber jacket, the skinny jean. His new ‘mensline’ looks use the same decorative motifs as the women’s collection, from leopard print to Frankenstein images. Anderson’s man is masculine despite the frills. He has created a beautiful body with the pinched crewneck sweaters and ruffled knickerbockers. But perhaps don’t expect to see them down the local pub…