Meatless Mondays: Veggie Toad-in-the-Hole

continues the Meatless Mondays series with a recipe to warm you through and keep you cosy in the snow

toadintheholeHave you been feeling a wee bit chilly as you trudge through the snow to campus every day? Think that vegetarian food is the last thing you could possibly want to eat and all you can currently envisage right now is an enormous pile of sausages and chips? Think again. Continuing our Meatless Mondays series, we bring you a deliciously cosy treat for the cold weather, which is surprisingly simple to make. It also contains the word ‘sausage’. So it can’t be all bad. Linda McCartney sausages are the best but you should be able to substitute any veggie kind. You can make the batter a few hours advance and keep it covered in the fridge. Serve with gravy and plenty of seasonal vegetables.

Serves two.

Ingredients
2 Linda McCartney sausages
1 egg, beaten
125ml milk
75g plain flour
Vegetable oil for the roasting tin

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 220C, and evenly grease a small roasting tin with vegetable oil, then add an extra teaspoon of oil. Put in the oven to heat (Do not on any account forget it is in there. Your housemates will not thank you for a charred house in midwinter).
3. For the Yorkshire pudding – sift the flour into a bowl. Create a well in the middle and add beaten egg and stir gently to combine.
4. Add milk gradually to make a smooth batter (no one likes lumpy batter). Liberal use of hand whisk can improve matters. Set aside.
5. Put sausages on a baking tray and cook in oven for 10 minutes.
6. After 10 minutes cooking time, take out both the roasting tin and quickly pour in batter over the sausages. return tin to oven.
8. Check on your toad after 25 minutes – it should be risen and brown. If not give it another 5, ad lib. And voila! Your deliciously vegetarian meal. And it’s filling too. Serve with vegetables of your choice, and liberal lashings of gravy (we don’t recommend Bisto, but if it’s all you’ve got…)

1. Dear Sarah! Oh my – this heavenly dish is hanvig a hyggelig time in my belly right now – how absolutely delicious it was!! I love everything lemony and this is now my new favorite way to eat leeks! Thanks and keep those lovely lovely recipes running:) Smiles to you