The Naked Baker: Snowball Cookies

Fe Morizet is the Naked Baker and shows us a quick fix for those post-Christmas exam blues. We can still pretend the holidays aren’t over

8269907766_2e255fa6ff_o[1] Snowball cookies are the best recipe if a quick batch of goodness is needed for a post-Christmas blues pick-me-up. These Snowballs are easy to whip up but still definitely make an impact on any cookie platter. What’s cuter than little snowballs in wintry miniature cases?

Now this cookie does not use a new recipe. It goes by so many names, Mexican Wedding Cake, Italian Butternut or Russian Tea Cake, just to name a few, so it is difficult to trace its origin. Still, this is a cookie that has a history that dates back as far as the 18th century. My family is known in the neighbourhood for making these little balls of heaven every single year.

Simple to make, this recipe is also easily adaptable to whatever may be left in your cupboard. Having learnt the recipe when I was about 6 years old, I have tweaked the standard recipe to create a more nut filled, crunchy yet sweet cookie that will melt in your mouth. Mine includes mini chocolate chips and ground almonds, instead of just chopped walnuts. Not a fan of walnuts? Feel free to substitute them for another nut such as pecans or almonds. Whatever the case, these cookies are a classic lifesaver, and will never disappoint.

Ingredients:
226g unsalted butter
113g icing sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
300g plain flour
130g chopped walnuts
57g teaspoon kosher salt
80g icing sugar, sifted – for rolling cookies

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer (or by hand), beat the butter and half of the icing sugar until smooth and creamy. Add in vanilla extract and mix until combined. 3. Add the flour, walnuts and salt. Mix until just combined.
4. Roll about 1 tablespoon of dough (mine are a bit larger, see notes below) into balls and place on prepared baking sheet. The cookies can be placed quite close together since they do not spread during the baking process.
5. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes – taking care not to over-bake. Allow cookies to cool on baking pan until you are able to comfortably hold them in your hands.
6. Sift the rest of the icing sugar into a medium bowl. While cookies are still warm, roll them in icing sugar. Place cookies on cooling rack, once they have cooled completely, roll them in confectioners’ sugar again.

1. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to
    be really something which I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next
    post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

As stated in our disclaimer, Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.