Review: Sitting Room Comedy

Dana Alexander was a highlight in a line-up of well-chosen acts, but the long sets left some performers lacking spark

Date: 22nd November 2012
Venue: Sitting Room Comedy
Verdict: Three stars

Although a Best Western conference room dotted with tacky Christmas wreaths seems an unlikely venue for a comedy show, the Sitting Room Comedy club managed to disguise these horrors with clever lighting and a set up full of character. The show opened with the resident compere Tom Taylor who, in his own words, used “carefully pre-prepared material” that was well received by the audience. His act was composed of controversial and comedic songs, invoking several sharp shocked intakes of breath from the audience.

The first act of the evening was the brilliantly funny female comedian, Dana Alexander. Her animated, conversational performance contrasted wonderfully with the second act of the evening, Stephen Carlin who had a much more subdued set. His dry humour provided a welcome interlude for the evening, if a little nervous and under practiced. The final act of the evening was the self-deprecating Lloyd Langford whose casual style finished off the evening brilliantly.

I feel as though the format needs to be re-considered, each act performed for 45 minutes separated by two 15-minute intervals, which made for a very long night of comedy. Some of the acts could have benefited from a slightly shorter set in order to focus on their stronger material. Overall, it was a thoroughly entertaining night.

Comedy is a subjective thing but, for me, Dana Alexander was the highlight of the evening and definitely one to watch. She dealt with heckles from the audience as comfortably and amusingly as she deals with her hilarious confessional material. Congratulations are in order for the Sitting Room Comedy group. The acts were well chosen, the seats were almost filled and each act began and ended promptly. I highly recommend going to see some of their upcoming shows in January 2013. Keep an eye out for these nights on their website: www.sittingroomcomedy.com.