Dressing for the Party Season

Ditch that LBD and get inspired by our top tips for dressing during the festive season

Karen Millen Baroque Dress, £120.

The nights have drawn in, the Christmas lights are on in town, and last minute essays are nearly done. Even if you don’t observe a particular religious festival over the holidays, it is that wonderful time of the year when you can start planning for the party season. If your desperate for a fabulous new outfit that can take you from a posh drinks party with the relatives, to casual catch up down the pub with your mates from home – fear not. Here at Nouse we’ve sought out the key Catwalk trends that can be found on the High Street at a price that won’t break the overdraft, but won’t skimp on the festive fun.

Ladies, you shouldn’t have to rely on the boring LBD to drag you through another round of mulled wine and mince pies. It’s a myth that they flatter your figure more than any other well-chosen dress, and they’re just plain boring. Take some inspiration to the opulent offerings Dolce and Gabbana sent down the Catwalk and rock the baroque look. Intricate gold detailing exudes sophisticated glamour and can be dressed up or down at will.

Gap Slim Fit Khaki’s, £39.95.

If you’ve been extra good this year then splash out this fabulous frock from Karen Millen. Wear with biker boots for the rock chick look, or go for gold in heels and trusty black tights. River Island has some less pricey options if the student loan is looking a bit battered. If dresses aren’t your thing, get a fix of Balmain’s embellished jacket for a fraction of the price with Zara’s velvet embellished jacket. Pair with a pair of black cigarette pants, smokey eyes and a lot of attitude.

Gentlemen, take heed from Paul Smith (http://www.paulsmith.co.uk) and wear your Christmas knit with (ironic) pride. From nautical to the Nordic there’s a jumper style for everyone out there. Hit up Top Man for some nifty knitwear to wear with your favourite pair of jeans. If you need to smarten it up a notch, Gap does a great range in jewel tone, brushed cotton trousers. If you’re being forced to be formal then reference Dior Homme’s autumn collection and pick a well-cut suit from Zara with contrasting lapels.