UYAFC hit eight in Teesside rout

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 8-0 TEESSIDE UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern Conference 3B

View on Flickr

Images: Agatha Torrance

A spectacular display on a bitterly cold 3G Pitch this afternoon saw the men’s football firsts thrash their rivals from Teesside 8-0.

It was a game in which the home side could seemingly do no wrong, as they finally fulfilled their potential in their final BUCS game before the Christmas break.

York made a positive start as they looked to get out of the blocks quickly, but it was Teesside who had the first meaningful attempt on goal, as an effort from long range whistled past the post.

The Black and Gold’s first chance came the way of Tom Day, who could only blaze over after good work from Tom Clarke and Dalton Harris.

20 minutes in, chances had been few and far between, but one moment of class from Clarke opened the door for York. He found James Davies with a raking cross-field pass, and though his shot was saved, Day was on hand to knock in the rebound.

The goal seemed to rattle the visitors, and York took control soon after. Another great pass from Clarke this time fell into the path of Phil Taylor, who smashed a shot into the corner from the edge of the area.

The White Rose looked unstoppable at this stage, and had a gilt-edged chance to make it 3-0 just a minute later. A weaving run from left-back Alex Tringham saw him tripped in the area, but Clarke sent the resulting spot-kick wide of the post.

With York’s momentum halted, Teesside sensed a way back into the match, and had the ball in the net before the break, only for the referee to blow for a foul on keeper Dom McMahon.

The visitors’ best effort of the match came just before the half-time whistle, as an outrageous chip left McMahon stranded, but the crossbar came to York’s rescue.

With the second half beginning in the midst of a blizzard, Teesside’s pressure continued, but the hosts’ third would prove to be the killer goal, as Tringham nonchalantly curled a free-kick into the corner from 20 yards.

The full-back added an unlikely second shortly afterwards, as a looping right-footed effort from the edge of the box deceived the keeper and fell into the top corner, after some good play from Davies and substitute Ollie Harrison down the left flank.

A remarkable five minutes for the home side was then completed, as straight from the restart Harrison crossed for Davies to place a shot into the far corner.

York were threatening to run riot now, and grabbed a sixth through Taylor, who collected Harrison’s cross in acres of space before lashing a shot beyond a demoralised Teesside goalie.

The seventh was arguably the pick of the bunch. Clarke latched onto a long ball, shrugged off the attentions of his marker and curled a shot into the top corner from a seemingly impossible angle.

With time nearly up, Davies added the final touch to a magnificent afternoon. Put clean through on goal, the midfielder kept his composure and finished with aplomb to cap what will hopefully be a result that sets York on the path to promotion.

Captain Matt Mawdesley commented, “I think it’s been a long time coming this season. We’ve got a couple of lads back and we’re almost back to a full-strength squad now, and today we showed what we’re capable of as a team. The results have been disappointing up until now, but hopefully that’s the win we need to kick-start us and we’ve now got a great opportunity for promotion next year.”

York: McMahon, Jones (Kimber), Brandreth, Belshaw, Tringham, Davies, Mawdesley (C), Day (Harrison), Clarke, Taylor, Harris (Easter)