Review: Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2

Breaking Dawn Part 2 achieves what it sets out to do, bringing a more human and intimate side to the saga

Director: Bill Condon
Rating: 3 stars

The last instalment of the Twilight franchise is upon us, after a long and anticipated wait by die-hard fans of the previous instalment. I should firstly point out, that although I hold no silly grudge against the Twilight series, I’m not its greatest fan. Initially I was sceptical, expecting to watch another hour and a half of Jacob stripping, and Edward assuring Bella for the billionth time that he loves her. Don’t get me wrong, these aspects of the franchise are still present, but Bill Condon, the director, has imbued Breaking Dawn Part 2 with a new finesse, as opposed to the earthy and grungy feel of the previous instalments.

In Part Two, the Cullens, alongside Jacob and a team of new vampires, set out on protecting Renesmee, the newlyweds’ daughter against the Volturi, who have mistaken her for a devilish “immortal child.” The suspense of the film derives from the question of will they or won’t they have to fight? The new characters definitely jazz up the ensemble cast: the most eagerly anticipated new cast-member is Renesmee, well-acted by Mackenzie Foy, though the scenes between her and Jacob were somewhat cringeworthy. The relationship looked nothing if not creepy. The film’s greatest asset was the climatic battle sequence, with an awesome twist. These scenes are made incredibly intense, as we fear for our favourite characters’ lives, to the extent that my friends and I couldn’t help but shout out to the characters on screen (embarrassing, but true).

Breaking Dawn Part 2 achieves what it sets out to do, bringing a more human and intimate side to the saga. The close-up shots give the film an aesthetic beauty, but also make the love scenes between Bella and Edward more poetic without the cheesiness of previous instalments. Ultimately, the point is to bid farewell and the film achieves this charmingly in the touching final scene. Basically, I lapped it up, leaving with a warm fuzzy feeling, with a touch of melancholic nostalgia for one of the last links to adolescence.