Apple: The Road Ahead

Photo credit: Tiziano Caviglia

Photo credit: Tiziano Caviglia

The ferocious money-wheel that Apple possesses refuses to stop, though perhaps some oiling is in order.

Having just posted yearly profits of $41.7bn, it would be easy for Tim Cook, the Apple CEO to rest on his laurels. To give some perspective of just how large that figure is, if you were to combine the profits of Microsoft, Google and Facebook together, you would still fall considerably short.

Currently, Apple continues to dominate in nearly every product category it has entered, and there appears to be no emergence of a serious industry rival. It may be surprising for some to hear then, that Apple is shuffling a little uncomfortably on its (sleek, aluminum-backed) throne.
In October, Apple gave the boot to Scott Forstall, their senior VP of iOS, Apple’s mobile operating system.

It is widely accepted within the technology industry that the core reason behind this was his figurehead role in the failure that is Apple Maps, which was touted as one of the primary selling features of their flagship iPhone 5.

Look back another year, and Siri stands out for the wrong reasons. After all, having to put on an American accent whilst talking to your phone loses its novelty for those blessed with the gift of anything else to do.

On the face of things, it may seem like Apple has run out of ideas. This is not strictly true, and I should point out that most of those who I know that possess Apple products continue to be infatuated (even myself, sometimes). What is true, however, is that Apple is becoming stale. A typical monopolist, not wanting to meddle too much with the formula which stuffed their wallets to begin with.

Cook has found himself leading the world’s most valuable company at a precarious junction, and it is his job now to put Apple onto the path towards greater success.

So, what does the future hold? Rumours are that Apple will enter the home television industry in the not too-distant future, and this is exactly what needs to happen.

Apple needs to continue to reinvent industries like they have done in the bygone era (yes, tablet computers really did exist before the iPad) through combining phenomenal design with intuitive software.

That is the Apple that people want, and not the tiresome industry Goliath which releases out mildly refreshed products on a regular basis.
For those that don’t agree, well, enjoy your ‘magical’ iPhone 5S next year.

1. ” Currently, Apple continues to dominate in nearly every product category it has entered, and there appears to be no emergence of a serious industry rival. ”

Well given that on the mobile phone front Apple has just 15% of the global market whereas Android ( read that as Google ) has over 75%, how can you claim Apple is dominating this category?

” Rumours are that Apple will enter the home television industry in the not too-distant future, and this is exactly what needs to happen. ”

Why do all you people think that Apple are going to clean up in the TV world. It is one of the most heavily supplier subscribed market sectors and prices are constantly falling. In addition, companies like LG and Sony are way up there in terms of technology, so given Apple’s usual, price it high strategy, this will not be a successful market for them.

In the US, maybe, but in the rest of the world, they will be a very small and niche player in a very big pond. And if you are thinking that content will make it successful, think again, given that most cable companies, provide internet access, land line ( and mobile network access in some cases ) as well as hundreds of TV channels, there is nothing Apple can bring to the market place that will make people chose their products.

In addition to the above, unlike with smartphones and tablets, people only change their TV every 5 years or so, so as the repeat sales are not going to be a factor, Apple will have to rely on content sales and as many others are already doing that, their income potential is going to be very limited. So, to think that Apple TV is going to lift Apple again is completely flawed thinking.